Great Dunn Fell

ivancarlos
ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
Planning to do this as training for sportive later in the year. As far as I can see it is the highest road in the British Isles. Has anyone tried it?
I have pain!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yip...its brutal.....3rd toughest climb in whole UK as far as Im concerned....we did a a 100mile route taking in many of the brutes down in the Pennines(which are very tough in there own right) and climaxing on Great Dun Fell...prepare yourself:- Heres my account with a few nice photos of GDF...

http://www.sportivecentral.com/?p=blogs&rid=321&page=1
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Great climb. I've only done it once, was amazed how it never ended. The last couple of miles were in the fog. Can't wait to go back.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Those are some superb pictures Richyboy; the road looks to be in really good nick too. I'm up in the Lakes the weekend after easter so I think I'll have a go at it then, I dread to think what the wind can be like at the top though!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nasahapley wrote:
    Those are some superb pictures Richyboy; the road looks to be in really good nick too. I'm up in the Lakes the weekend after easter so I think I'll have a go at it then, I dread to think what the wind can be like at the top though!

Hi Nasahapley,

Yes I can confirm the road surface is tremendous....and even on a good august day it was bloody baltic up there....theres no other road at 848 meters in the UK...its a total beast of an effort...it ascends 25 meters more than Bealach Na Ba in 2 Kms less distance!....I only put 'Hardknott from Eskdale' or 'Bwlch Y Groes for Dinas' ahead of it in the suffereing stakes...its not as steep as those badboys but its more sustained steep if you know what I mean...and theres a Km around a Km or 2 from the top which is just awful...a bit like having Winnats Pass stuck in one of the upper kms...

We hit it at 100miles so it was just bonkers hard....however theres tons of route options around there....and theres some stinking steep brutes aswell...especially that thing that comes up from St Johns Chapel over Langdon Common...'Beast of Langdon'...dear oh dear...that was also a memory! have a go youll really enjoy yourself. Cheers.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    It is the only UK climb I've done that comes close to matching some of those in the Pyrenees.
    It's long and just when you think it's about to get easier, it kicks you in the teeth.
    It feels very high up at the top as well!