commuting jacket

robd75
robd75 Posts: 147
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi There,
Looking for help, as of yesterday I am without a waterproof for commuting as the zip broke.
I was looking for something about £50 and had seen these
dhb amberly
Endura gridlock
Altura nevis
All 3 are on wiggle and I can see that the amberly has had a good review.
Have any of you got any of these jackets and what do you think or could you recomend something else in the region of £50
Cheers

Comments

• FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    I dont have any of those but I am a fan of Endura, I have the luminite for winter and it is solid.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've none of the above, only the Altura Night Vision. It's over £60 though, but keeps me warm. Depends if you want something to keep you warm through next winter too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    I have the Endura, it get's little warm in there so I only use it when it's really cold.
    It has zip vents under the arms to help with cooling.
    I would recommend it.
  • aphex2k
    aphex2k Posts: 3,229
    Montane kit is great. Very light, very packable, reasonably priced too and great quality.

Featherlite smock is 100g! With a nice merino top it's perfect for rain in the summer. With a fleece and merino top on (or just a fleece gilet) it's great for winter commuting too.
    Mark :)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    ive got the nevis and altura and they are both great

use nevis when commuting back in the day time but night vision when im on a late (evidentially the night lol)

if you want summin to get you through the not so cold months nevis is great, however id suggest pay the little extra and get night vision to get you through next winter
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    ive got the nevis..find it very warm...ideal for very cold winter days but for other days i wear the aldi version..better cut,cheaper,cooler but not quite so waterproof (also my running jacket)
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    aphex2k wrote:
    Montane kit is great. Very light, very packable, reasonably priced too and great quality.

Featherlite smock is 100g! With a nice merino top it's perfect for rain in the summer. With a fleece and merino top on (or just a fleece gilet) it's great for winter commuting too.

+1 for montane. I'm riding in the featherlite velo. Billed as water resistant but water proof in my experience. Anything heavier and you will soon be too hot. I also have a night vision and it is now far too hot to wear. Always better with lighter and variable layers depending on temp. Far more versatile.

The montane is about £35 so great value too.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    ++1 for the Montane Velo. This jacket is so good my other waterproof ( Altura Nevis) never gets worn.
    The Montane also can be packed into a really small space (about the size of an apple). I found this really useful for a recent trip work trip abroad as I could stuff the jacket into the side pocket of my laptop bag, and have something showerproof I could put on.
  • you better be quick, offer ends soon!

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Night-Vi ... t_9954.htm
    Specialized Tricross SS FCN 4
    GT Zaskar FCN 10
  • +1 for the Montane smock, think I paid about £30 from Chainreactioncycles. Been wearing it for commuting for the past month. Never gets me too hot and when it's cold I put a thin fleece on underneath. Mine is bright blue, so really visible. All in all, an excellent product - I don't usually rave about such things, but I think it's a terrific bit of kit. Also wore it walking on Dartmoor a few weeks ago, when it was really windy, and it did the job superbly.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I went to yhe lbs to buy an Atura but ended up with a similar Pinnacle jacket for the same price. They were both good but the Pinnacle fitted my body shape better. Best to try before you buy if possible.

That said, it usually stays indoors and I were a Montane Featherlite for all the reasons other have already stated. It really suits a layered approach to weatherproofing.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • robd75
    Thanks for the advice, going to go for a montane velo I think
  • GrantyBoy
    GrantyBoy Posts: 166
    +++1 for the Montane Velo
  • robd75
    bought the montane velo and it was delivered today
    Great jacket, Thanks for the advice :D