My imaginary project

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I have a dream...

Due to the current economic climate and the lack of space in my garage I am now reduced to just imagining I'm working on a build project, so here goes, the last few 'real' times I've started with a type of bike I'd like to build, classic tourer, single speed hack, stealth cross that kind of thing, then put together a parts list of cheap but reasonable quality.

Lightweight single speed project;

Dolan TT or Track frame
TrackChamp.jpg

or

DOLAFRAK200_1_Zoom.jpg

Wheelset could be standard road with CNC single speed kit, much better for quick sprocket changes but not ideal for balance.
Tyres would be Michelin 700x23c coloured naturally :D
Brakes can only be Cane Creek AGAIN
Carbon forks & aero seat post because I already have them :D (this is how it starts)
Hollowtech BB with FSA cranks if possible
Miche chain because they look so cool and never need cleaning
Proper drop handlebars but narrow 40-42 with quite a long stem maybe 120mm with Specialized Roubaix Bar Tape mmmm soft :wink:
Saddle would be another specialized BG of some description

I now find myself wishing all my bikes were like my last build the cross.... :cry:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    This is imaginary until the right bike comes along, but I fancy taking a beaten up old steel road bike, stripping it bare, waxoyling, respraying, and building a singlespeed out of it.

I'd try and re-use as much as possible, but certain things would probably need to be renewed (I'm thinking headset and bottom bracket bearings) and I don't know how it would look or how the chainline would work with a single ring on the crank.

Chop and flop the bars for bullhorns, reuse the brakes if possible and re-do the bar tape.

It would also be the perfect excuse to try my hand at wheelbuilding, which is about the only bicycle maintenance task I've never attempted, and if it was cheap I wouldn't be out much if it all went horribly wrong.

I'm sure someone has an old bike lurking in the back of their shed...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    Dolan TT or Track frame

I'm mostly with you on this but would have a steel frame (classic 753 or 953) instead of a plastic one and would go for fixed, not SS.

Should be possible to build a sub 5Kg fixie... would be fun.

Not going to happen though... Even if I had the cash I couldn't justify the spend!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    nation wrote:
    This is imaginary until the right bike comes along, but I fancy taking a beaten up old steel road bike, stripping it bare, waxoyling, respraying, and building a singlespeed out of it.
    ...I'm sure someone has an old bike lurking in the back of their shed...

Try eBay. I got the last winter hack for £16 plus shipping and when the frame rusted through after a couple of years I replaced it with a nicer one for £17.26 (local collection).

You ought to be able to do this for under £50. See if you have a local community bike recycling project.

Cheers,
    W.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I'm forever keeping an eye on eBay for something suitable, but I'm always wary of old bikes that are being sold alongside "replacement Reynolds decals".

Plus anything that looks like it might be possible to turn into a fixie seems to instantly draw a crowd of bidders.

There aren't any bike recycling projects in Brum that I'm aware of, but I have noticed a scrappy on my commute home, and I'm thinking about asking them if they ever get old bikes in (it's the kind of place that'll collect old appliances, radiators, etc from your house for free), and if they do, if they'd be willing to part with one for the scrap value. I'm also keeping an eye out for jumble sales and car boot sales.

That said, I got my current project off eBay for a song, the shipping was the most expensive part. That was an MTB though, and I'm a lot more familiar with old MTBs than I am with old road bikes, so it's easier for me to tell if they're actually worth salvaging.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    It's not Brum but there's bike recycling place in Worcester :http://www.motov8.org.uk/
  • nation wrote:
    .Plus anything that looks like it might be possible to turn into a fixie seems to instantly draw a crowd of bidders.

tell me about it even old frames are going for stupid money atm :evil:
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    mhuk wrote:
    It's not Brum but there's bike recycling place in Worcester :http://www.motov8.org.uk/

Interesting, might have to go have a look there when I'm working in Worcester over the summer. Really want to knock together a fixie.