Hybrid Bike

Ellie82
Ellie82 Posts: 59
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi

I wondered if I could have some advice on Hybrid bikes. I currently have a mountain bike but at the moment seem to be only using it for road use, so i've decided to get myself a hybrid bike to make things easier. There seems to be so many available its difficult to make a choice. Would love a road bike but not certain Id get on with the handlebars in that position :(

Can anyone give me any pointers or bikes that would be suitable, good makes etc. my budget is no more than £400.

Thanks for your time

Ellie

Comments

• Ellie82
    Also, are Felt bikes any good?
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    Dont know what the general opinion would be here but I have the Ridgeback Velocity for my commuting, 12 months of the year and I have been really pleased with it. I have slightly modified it, new pedals and saddle. Riding position can be adjusted in many different ways.
    n1422076005_2030402_7781.jpg
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2009
    OK,

Last year I rode a Giant M2, which is one of the hybrid's I'm going to recommend. After long rides I would get hand cramp. I then went to road bike and found that the handle bars gave more options to position my hands and therefore is more comfortable. My suggestion to you is not to be put off by the handlebar's of a road bike. Most people "ride the hoods" anyway, which is like using bullhorns on a flatbar.

Bike's I would recommend:

Hybrid: Mountain bike frame, rigid fork and slick tyres designed for urban commuting.
    Ridgeback Storm

Giant M2 - See above

Trek 7.3

Flatbar road bike: Road bike with a flat bar frame.
    Specialized Sirrus

Giant FCR4

Road bike
    Specialized Allez

Giant Defy 4

(Hybrid's look nice and are incredibly agile, but from my own personal experience I prefer the speed road bikes give)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ellie82 wrote:
    Hi

I wondered if I could have some advice on Hybrid bikes. I currently have a mountain bike but at the moment seem to be only using it for road use, so i've decided to get myself a hybrid bike to make things easier. There seems to be so many available its difficult to make a choice. Would love a road bike but not certain Id get on with the handlebars in that position :(

Can anyone give me any pointers or bikes that would be suitable, good makes etc. my budget is no more than £400.

Thanks for your time

Ellie

Have you considered buying a used one? I would, they're a lot out there to choose from.

Hybrids are a gateway drug/bike :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    if your not using your MTB off road why not just put some slicks on it? be a lot cheaper and the differences between it and hybrid are likely to be not much.
  • FyPunK wrote:
    Dont know what the general opinion would be here but I have the Ridgeback Velocity for my commuting, 12 months of the year and I have been really pleased with it. I have slightly modified it, new pedals and saddle. Riding position can be adjusted in many different ways.
    n1422076005_2030402_7781.jpg

i've got an older rb velocity 2002-03 and it has been great. LBS said when i had it serviced recently that dealers tell rb every year not to touch it as it is perfectly suited to its job and budget as it is - that's a pretty good recommendation in mt book
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Ellie82
    if your not using your MTB off road why not just put some slicks on it? be a lot cheaper and the differences between it and hybrid are likely to be not much.

Did think of that but to be honest i've had nothing but trouble with the gears, keep having to have them adjusted. only had it a year and wanted to keep that for off road (although it is only a few times a year now)
  • Ellie82
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK,

Last year I rode a Giant M2, which is one of the hybrid's I'm going to recommend. After long rides I would get hand cramp. I then went to road bike and found that the handle bars gave more options to position my hands and therefore is more comfortable. My suggestion to you is not to be put off by the handlebar's of a road bike. Most people "ride the hoods" anyway, which is like using bullhorns on a flatbar.

Hybrid: Mountain bike frame, rigid fork and slick tyres designed for urban commuting.
    Ridgeback Storm

Giant M2 - See above

Trek 7.3

Specialized Sirrus

Giant FCR4

Road bike
    Specialized Allez

Giant Defy 4

(Hybrid's look nice and are incredibly agile, but from my own personal experience I prefer the speed road bikes give)

Thanks DonDaddy thats given me something to look at :D

got me to 2 minds now about a road bike . Guess i'll have to weigh up pros and cons for both
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Keep an open mind and have a go on both. That said you'll getter a better spec'd hybrid for your money, road brake lever/shifters are not cheap! I went roadie because I kept my mountain bike, I think I would only have a hybrid if it was my only bike or if I could have a load of bikes. :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Ellie82 wrote:

got me to 2 minds now about a road bike . Guess i'll have to weigh up pros and cons for both

Ellie, there are no "CONS" to a road bike, you'd soon get used to the bars and, as mentioned, folk mostly ride on the hoods anyway which gives you a more upright riding position. Best bet is to try and arrange a test ride if you can.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ellie82 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK,

Ridgeback Storm

Giant M2 - See above

Trek 7.3

Specialized Sirrus

Giant FCR4

Road bike
    Specialized Allez

Giant Defy 4

Thanks DonDaddy thats given me something to look at :D

If you like speed and going very far, very fast on a bike then there is nothing like a road bike. It's taken me easily 20years to come to that conclusion, after getting my road bike I've never looked back. If you do go roadie the only con (because you have a mountain bike to go off road) is the initial cost. I'd probably add £150 onto your £400 budget to ensure that Sora groupset is on the bike (no minimum). That said if you can't you can't and there is no shame in that. Also shop around I believe Be One bikes and Decathlon offer good value for money bikes at this price range.

Hybrid; if you stick with a hybrid apart from the Giant M2, which I recommend highly - I still own it - all the others I've only ever encountered on the commute and they look solid and hold up against good speed.

I don't rate Flat bar road bikes at all. The 700c wheels and narrow, stiff road frame means the bike isn't agile enough for the handle bars and you get a wierd rigidly upright ride/riding position.

My only fear for you is that if you go from mountain to hybrid, it may not be enough of a move away from what you have and you may find it a waste of money.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ellie82
    Ok thanks everyone, its nice and helpful here :D

I'm gonna take your advice and have a test ride on both, :wink:
  • Moomin23
    Moomin23 Posts: 77
    I was in exactly the same position as yourself and after over modifying my MTB, I opted for a hybrid and started off with a MARIN Lucas Valley from their ALP range. Brilliant bike and never let me down.

The one thing I would say about this is after about three months enjoying the extra speed and stability I was left wishing I'd bought an out and out road bike. I was a bit worried about riding drops and the skinny tyres, especially since I came of a droppy and broke my collarbone during a Triathlon.

My advice, is save your money and get a road bike, you can ride the bars flat until you get used to the drops and you won't have blown all your money when you're looking to upgrade to a full roadie in a couple of months!! I highly recommend the MARIN and still have a Mill Valley which I've converted to a roadie (apart from Vee brakes) and it does me great for a winter bike. Check them out at www.marin.com
    I want to come back as Niki Gudex's seat
  • Ellie82
    Don't mind saving up for a bit longer if it meant getting a decent(ish) road bike.

Think you might be right about not much of a change from my mountain bike, might be disappointed if its not faster/lightweight, plus, i have always got the other bike if the route is off road :idea:
  • Ellie82
    Moomin23 wrote:
    I was in exactly the same position as yourself and after over modifying my MTB, I opted for a hybrid and started off with a MARIN Lucas Valley from their ALP range. Brilliant bike and never let me down.

The one thing I would say about this is after about three months enjoying the extra speed and stability I was left wishing I'd bought an out and out road bike. I was a bit worried about riding drops and the skinny tyres, especially since I came of a droppy and broke my collarbone during a Triathlon.

My advice, is save your money and get a road bike, you can ride the bars flat until you get used to the drops and you won't have blown all your money when you're looking to upgrade to a full roadie in a couple of months!! I highly recommend the MARIN and still have a Mill Valley which I've converted to a roadie (apart from Vee brakes) and it does me great for a winter bike. Check them out at www.marin.com

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Ellie82 wrote:
    Don't mind saving up for a bit longer if it meant getting a decent(ish) road bike.

Think you might be right about not much of a change from my mountain bike, might be disappointed if its not faster/lightweight, plus, i have always got the other bike if the route is off road :idea:

That's the spirit! Word of warning again(!) after getting used to the weight of my road bike my MTB feels really heavy so now I'm having to put it on a diet or fork out for a new one! :roll:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ellie82
    prawny wrote:
    Ellie82 wrote:

That's the spirit! Word of warning again(!) after getting used to the weight of my road bike my MTB feels really heavy so now I'm having to put it on a diet or fork out for a new one! :roll:

Oh right, didnt think of that

A big money pit this cycling lark :lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Moomin23 wrote:

+1million.

I've said it a million times on here, if you want a bike for road use and have an MTB for MTB'ing, then get a roadbike. Hybrids are compromise bikes and you don't neet to compromise.

Have a look at:

The Focus range on Wiggle. Wiggle offer interest free credit as well which helps with the budget - downside is you cannot test ride.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Variado_2008/5360032370/

Also:

Specialized Allez/Dolce
    Giant Defy

Loads of choice out there.
  • itboffin
    Moomin23 wrote:

+1million.

I've said it a million times on here, if you want a bike for road use and have an MTB for MTB'ing, then get a roadbike. Hybrids are compromise bikes and you don't neet to compromise.

Have a look at:

The Focus range on Wiggle. Wiggle offer interest free credit as well which helps with the budget - downside is you cannot test ride.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Variado_2008/5360032370/

Also:

Specialized Allez/Dolce
    Giant Defy

Loads of choice out there.

I agree, btw what sort of bike does your GF ride? :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wantaway
    wantaway Posts: 96
    Ellie,

I was after a new bike and was determned to buy a hybrid. I eventually went for a road bike and I am so pleased with it. If you can get a test ride on one you will soon be able to see if it is for you. I did not think I'd have got quite the buzz I did out of a 'boring' road bike...on a boring road.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:

I agree, btw what sort of bike does your GF ride? :wink:

Don't get me started, although budget was a huge issue with her, and there's nothing decent to be had for £390 in road terms.
  • Ellie82
    I want one now :D Made a note of all your recommendations.

Has anyone got any experience with Cannondale bikes? Heard somewhere you pay for the name or are they generally goodens?
  • robmanic1
    Ellie82 wrote:
    I want one now :D Made a note of all your recommendations.

Has anyone got any experience with Cannondale bikes? Heard somewhere you pay for the name or are they generally goodens?

The 'dales seem to be poorly specced in relation to brands like Giant, so I guess you are paying for the name to an extent. They are, however very good frames, which is the most important component anyway, and you can always spend the next few years (and all your income) on upgrading the various components (I am biased, see sig).

I guess it all depends on if you a label snob or not. :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• itboffin
    What like some kind of elitist :D
  • robmanic1
    itboffin wrote:
    What like some kind of elitist :D

See, I deliberately used a different phrase to avoid the backlash! :wink:

• il_principe
    'Dales are overpriced.

Best VFM @ your price range is the Focus or Cube range. I own a Focus - they're German and very well made.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If you test ride a road bike and a hybrid on the same day the hybrid will feel like pedalling a tank. I went to the bike shop with the expectation of buying a sensible, steel tourer; the assistant suggested I try a low end roadie and BAM. That was that. The sheer acceleration and speed and agility it offered made other considerations (mudguards, racks, as unbreakable as Top Gear's pickup truck) completely irrelevant.
  • itboffin
    If your in the London area why not pop along to the Morpeth this Friday i'm sure they'll be a few of the regulars hanging around who knows there might even been a couple of hybrid riders too.

If I brave the weather and epic journey in I will be running the 'cross bikes are cool' stand sponsored by AA (not the breakdown recovery co.)

:roll:
  • My better half has just received her Saracen Zena 2:-

Frame: Ladies specific profiled aluminium mtb sports geometry with dropped top tube for clearance, suspension adjusted
    Fork: Suntour XCR-D-LO 100mm travel cross country fork with lockout
    Cranks: Shimano FC-M442 44/32/22T 175mm crank
    Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals: BMX style resin platform
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore 9 speed
    Shifters: Shimano Deore 9 speed rapid fire pods
    Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-32T 9 speed
    Chain: Shimano HG53
    Hubs: CenterPoint alloy disc specific hubs a with QR and cassette rear
    Rims: WTB SX24 alloy double wall rims
    Tyres: Continental Speed King 26x2.10 tyres
    Brakes: Shimano Alivio hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotor
    Brake Levers: Shimano Alivio hydraulic
    Handlebar: Alloy riser satin black
    Headset: Aheadset with seals
    Stem: Saracen "Blade" alloy 4 bolt ahead
    Grips: Double density Kraton Grips for Comfort
    Saddle: WTB Deva Comp
    Seat Post: Saracen "Blade" alloy micro adjust black finish
    Sizes: 18"
    Colour: Midnight Black

Not bad for 300 squids new? Rutland ebay store is worth a peek ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo