Is the turbo trainer tougher

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Is it tougher to do 10k on the turbo trainer or on the road.

Comments

• mapei
    mapei Posts: 17
    You can't really compare the two, it's apples and oranges.

What resistance is the trainer set at , what gear are you in, what tyre pressure,
    vs,
    how windy is it outside, are there any hills, how smooth is the tarmac, and so on.

The only real comparison is how tired are you (after an equal number of minutes) spent at each activity.
  • As above you can't make a direct comparison without qualifiers. But yes, on the whole, it is. You can't say that, for instance, 10k easy spinning on the turbo is tougher than 10k at threshold pace on the road, but all things equal, the turbo will be tougher, simply because you don't have the option to freewheel. I certainly know I'm a whole lot more knackered after 4 hours on the turbo at a particular average HR than I am for the same on the road. Thank god base training is over for another 7 months...:)
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    mapei wrote:
    You can't really compare the two, it's apples and oranges.

What resistance is the trainer set at , what gear are you in, what tyre pressure,
    vs,
    how windy is it outside, are there any hills, how smooth is the tarmac, and so on.

The only real comparison is how tired are you (after an equal number of minutes) spent at each activity.

But even that is not a good means of comparison as inadequate cooling will mean you will tire very easily but that doesn't mean you had a good workout it just means you overheated.