Which tyre punctures the most on tarmac, if either?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I can't say as I've ever noticed a pattern myself but then I've not done a huge number of road miles... Basically, through remarkable incompetence I've bought one regular Marathon and one Marathon Plus, so I need to decide what end to put the punctureproof one on :oops: I'll fire it on the rear if there's no obvious better option since it's easier to repair a front tyre puncture I reckon...
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• jon208
    jon208 Posts: 335
    Most often the back in my experience but no real science behind that. I'd stick it on the back because as you say it's less easy to change. SMPs are quite hard work to fit but I've never had a puncture since fitting them to my commuter hack.

Hope that helps.
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    I find fronts puncture more so I'd stik it on their. Plus its also more hair raising getting a flat on the front if youre going some speed. You would'nt want to crash, he he
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I'd say back, thats where all the weight is
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You get the same with motorbikes, it seems to be that the front tyre disturbs flat objects then the back tyre rolls over them. Or something, that's obviously just made up bo***cks but it does happen :lol: But it could equally be that we remember rear wheel punctures more because they're more of a pain in the ass I suppose.

grandad, you make a good point. Which just confuses me more. Good work.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 4471iang
    4471iang Posts: 5
    in the last two years i have had 14 punctures and every one of them has been in the rear tyre and not one in the front, so i would say put it on the back...........sods law you will get a puncture on the other tyre :lol::lol:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    both are fairly tougth tires, with either the fairy will need to get her sharpest biggest weapons, I'd prob stick the plus on the rear as they are more of a pain, blow outs are unlikely....
  • Phallus
    Phallus Posts: 29
    I'd go with back. In the last 1500 miles on my racer i've got 4 rear punctures and 1 front. If theres a little less air than there should be in the rear and you're getting the power down... a slight bump/stone/draincover and you'll get a pinch puncture too. not key