Vatternrundan

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
I must be mad but I have set myself the challenge of trying to take part in next years Vatternrundan :shock:

Now the furthest I have rode is 80km and I am going to seriously try to vastly increase this over the next few months.

What i need in order to prepare both body and mind is more info on the actual route. Has anyone here who has taken part got any GPS/GPX files of the actual route as well as average speeds etc.

I'm not too great on hills but i understand that hills are not too bad so it would be better to train for distance.

Any other info/links etc. would be GREATLY appreciated.

My plan would be to fly in by BA (using a hard bike case) then train it down to Motala.

Comments

• zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    I'm going for it this year; 02.32 Sat start, have heard scare stories about taking the bike on the train so am also going BA and planning to ride from Stockholm to Motala over 2 days.

In terms of preparation; do a few 100km Audaxes and at least one 200km; then start with a 200 a month from January 2010 until the ride and you should be fine :D

will let you know how I get on
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    02:32 is a good time to start if you're after a good time. Most of the fast groups start around then, or shortly after, so plenty of tows to be had.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    zoomcp wrote:
    I'm going for it this year; 02.32 Sat start, have heard scare stories about taking the bike on the train so am also going BA and planning to ride from Stockholm to Motala over 2 days.
    n

I actually emailed Swedish trains regarding taking bike on trains. It seems if they are in hard cases then it is classed as luggage and they say you can carry as much luggage as you can handle.