Weight: about 29 lbs

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Bargaintastic, still can`t belive the price. :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good weight too for that travel!
  • I test rode one at the GT Press camp in Switzerland in '07 - very nice ride!

Enjoy it!
  • Nice looking bike, I too cant believe the price, whats it like to ride, is the frame upto much, general build quality?

I'm looking at either this or the Trek 8500 '09, but the GT would be about £350 less!

Can you recommend it?

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Yes, very much so.

Build quality is tip-top.

What you have to remember is it's a £2000 bike, not a £1200 bike.

It's got top of the range trail kit/brakes. Full XT Drive train, Solid DT/XT wheelset, Thomson/Ritchey finishing kit... the list goes on.

It's a hoot to ride - see my little review here:

It weighs approx 29/30lb but feels way lighter, its very responsive, fast agile and inspires confidence. The I-drive system is great, first time I have used it but felt natural from the start, it reduces pedal-bob - although you have to fettle round with the pro-pedal on the RP23 shock to compliment it (personal thing).

On flat, it's almost like riding a hardtail, but when you come to the trail it just comes alive!!

it soaks up bumps like no-ones business, feels confident at the front end with the 140mm travel, the fox fork as always are quite plush through the stroke, and the Rp23 is as superb/tuneable as ever. But as on any bike, you need to tune these to your liking.

The XT kit is constant/reliable and speaks for itself, and the XT brakes are great stoppers, 180mm on the front which leads towards descending, and 160mm on the rear. Way better than any Juicys I have tried. Have had 3's, carbons and 7's so not speculating here.

It just felt *right* as soon as I sat on it, the rear end feels firm, stiff and compliant, not all over the place like some frames I have tried, the beauty of the i-drive system.

It's basically the same as it's big brother 'the sanction' without the gussets/reinforced headtube. And obviously with trail/AM kit instead of the Saint cranks/burlier rims.

Its no featherweight, and can take a lot of abuse, but it's no FR rig either. Great for all day riding also (went out for about 4/5 hours the other day - mostly on road and it was superb)

It really is the best £1200 I have ever spent on a bike. Seriously.

I would have been stoked if I had this bike 3 months ago for £2k, it really is that good and more importantly - its great fun to ride!

Splendid!
  • thats such a nice bike... i could be swayed to FS for something like that.

the colour is stunning too!
  • The Big Cheese
    It's even nicer in the flesh - almost has an organic feel to the frame design.

It took me about half an hour to decide on the purchase after supersonic suggested it, I would have been mad to ignore it.

I had a £1600 budget, nothing in that price range could touch this. :lol:
  • Thanks for all the info Cheesey, its certainly a corker! :)

Like you said theres nothing in the £1200-£1600 price range that can touch it, and thats exactly where my budget is lying.

Did you internet order it or did you buy instore? I emailed the shop who advised all their stock is still factory sealed until its sold and then they service, set it up etc?

PS What frame size did you buy?
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    Nice bike. I am looking to treat myself to a FS as a reward for reaching my weight target. Was looking at the Cube AMS 125 XT for £1600 but am tempted by this and will save 400 notes as well.

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/AMS ... .htm#anker

Arh decisions decisions LOL Someone help me decide :?
  • The Big Cheese
    get the GT and have a mini-break somewhere nice to ride it/// simpelz :wink:
  • The Big Cheese
    Thanks for all the info Cheesey, its certainly a corker! :)

Like you said theres nothing in the £1200-£1600 price range that can touch it, and thats exactly where my budget is lying.

Did you internet order it or did you buy instore? I emailed the shop who advised all their stock is still factory sealed until its sold and then they service, set it up etc?

PS What frame size did you buy?

17 (M) and I am *just* under 6'

Pauls cycles (I ordered it online) are the only ones doing it for £1199.99 and they are factory sealed until P.O.S

You won't regret it! :wink:
  • xgeek
    How is it going up hills :-) I like the TALAS on the Cube as I can switch between 100/120/140. Not sure if 140 is too long for places like Swinley.
  • The Big Cheese
    xgeek wrote:
    How is it going up hills :-) I like the TALAS on the Cube as I can switch between 100/120/140. Not sure if 140 is too long for places like Swinley.

Fine - but I am not one to moan about uphills - it's all good exercise isn't it?

i ride a Quake uphill with totems and find it ok? :?
  • xgeek
    Hmm gave Paul's cycles a call today to check sizes but they do not have any in the shop to check for fit if I went up there.

Have a GT XCR 08 in an 18" frame and that fits me okay. I am 6' 2" with a 35" inside leg so not sure if a medium will be too small or a large too big.

Anyone else with this bike that is a similar size to me?

Cheers
  • The Big Cheese
    Hmmmm although the medium is quite a big medium, I think you would defo need a large given your inside leg measurement, a medium would be too small for you.

they are all in the warehouse the guy at Pauls told me, boxed up. I took a chance on sizing and it paid off for me.
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    How are you finding this Cheesey, any issues?

I've heard the pivots can squeak a bit when wet.
  • The Big Cheese
    I haven't been out on it in the rain, so canne comment on the squeeky issue.

Just put this up for 'potential sale' as redundancy may be looming :(

I have had 2 outings on it and it's a blast to ride! Hope I don't have to sell it TBH
  • nooooo that sucks :(
    hope everything sorts itself out mate :(
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    That's a shame. I hope the job front works out ok for you.

If it does have to be sold you'll have no bother with the kit it's got on it, unfortunately when times are like this bikes are a bit of a luxury compared to the mortgage :(