RPCC Ride - Sat 28th / Sun 29th March

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Where are the weeks going - nearly April already...!

Ok so once again I'm gunning for a Saturday ride this coming weekend as I really honestly do plan to commit to the KW Sunday run now that I'm a fully fledged member (I keep saying it, but I'm determined to make it this weekend)!

So, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am is most likely on whichever day is favoured (or both if any of you want to do both days!) :arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate) :arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph
usually, but nobody gets dropped (although last week some of us ended up doing 90-100 miles after the group split into two groups!)
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins), although we know that this week urrrrrrrrrs is gunning for a 'no Box Hill' route for his debut... :wink: :roll: :lol:
New faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! And ladies don't forget you're more than welcome too! Lucyintheskywithdiamonds came along last week and said she had a great time! :D

It might also be worth saying that a 'collection point' is usually arranged at Hampton Court as that tends to be our route out and one of our regulars lives in Esher so it makes sense to collect him there. All I would ask is that you're there by 9:30am as there won't normally be any hanging around then, it's literally just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again. That said there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be late coming through (and apologies in advance if that turns out to be the case)! :roll: :lol:

I know 'Drill Sgt Myk-ee' is already making plans on a route, and if the route we did last weekend is anything to go by then it's sure to be a good one!

So, I know a few of our regulars aren't going to be along this weekend, but who is about and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    edited March 2009
    Hi All

First up, can I just compliment everyone on an absolutely AWESOME day's riding last Saturday - a brilliant route (well done again, Drill Sgt My-kee), great company, some high comedy (Wilf for lessons in the forward roll hill climb technique, Al teaching us the finer points of why we should avoid over-tightening those valve collar thingamajigs) and most of all, some impressive riding performances at various points of the day. And as for Winterfold...

Bit jealous of those of you who went for the longer option, but the rugby was calling - shame I fell asleep through the second half really! :oops:

I'm in this coming weekend: Saturday as good as any, and gives me an incentive to take it easy on Friday night. And now that my commuter's arrived I think I'll start the tarting process on the Italia over the coming months - was looking a bit tired next to some of the more beautiful machinery on display on Sat 8)

PS - for any lurkers, newbies, etc, a taste of what these rides can entail...
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I am a no-no - am on call this weekend, so 30 miles only to and from work for me. Maybe a park session (3 lapper maybe :twisted: ) later in the week once my shot legs are recovered. Doing leith Hill both the easy way and the hard way whilst searching the Surrey Hills for you on Saturday left me a little achy legged.

I think Art Vandelay said he was off to fairy land, no sorry San Fairy Ann at Hog's Hill this coming weekend :?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Ha! I might well be wishing I was in Fairy land by 2pm next Saturday :lol:
    A no show for me this Sat.
    PS - What was the name of the 21% ascent where Emu did the circus act? Whitedown or Winterdown :?:
  • homercles
    PS - What was the name of the 21% ascent where Emu did the circus act? Whitedown or Winterdown :?:

That was Winterfold (Barhatch Lane, to be specific)
  • I'd be in again for Saturday (its a good thing I have a memory like a goldfish or I'd go nowhere near routes planned by Mykee again).
    My legs seem to have recovered since saturday so clearly I could have worked harder? Or something.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198

I think it was my cussing at the 21% gradient which put him off :) I wouldn't mind doing that climb again though.

Great ride on the weekend, while I took the longer option I think Ranmore was one hill too far for me...lot more work to do before the Fray. Thanks Rich for the sports beans tho...got me at least to Cobham!

I am out this weekend, while the impending weather is a great excuse, I will racing another type of steed. I will see y'all next weekend.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    My legs seem to have recovered since saturday so clearly I could have worked harder? Or something.

So you should have come out with us on the longer route then ;)
  • I'm in for this Saturday. Had a few weeks off so will find out how well rested my legs are, or how much fitness I've lost. The more hills and distance the better. Hope the weather sorts itself out.

Brian
  • homercles
    The more hills and distance the better.

Fighting talk!!!! :twisted:
  • Rich-Ti
    The more hills and distance the better
    +1

My next sportive is 2 weeks on Sunday, and that includes Hardknott! :shock:
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    edited March 2009
    1.I'm in although i must register my contempt fot B@l@x Hill,

2. the last time i went up Barhatch Lane ,my chain came off ! :shock:

3.Route Planner Organisers - please can we have the use of Staple Lane :evil:

4.Rich - usual warm up ??

5.shall I wear black,blue or red shorts ? OR EVEN MY LIQUIGAS 2007 SHORTS :P

6.seeing as i've only been up B@ll@x Hell twice in 3 months and i know i will bring up the rear ,can i place my order now for treacle slice and large coffee

thats it for now ,if i think of anything else i will ask
    :wink:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • homercles
    Not too far from Staple Lane is Crocknorth Road too - that's a nasty kicker vaguely on route from Shere to Ranmore...
  • homercles
    Not too far from Staple Lane is Crocknorth Road - that's a nasty kicker vaguely on route from Shere to Ranmore...
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    homercles wrote:
    Not too far from Staple Lane is Crocknorth Road too - that's a nasty kicker vaguely on route from Shere to Ranmore...

GOOD OLD CROCKNORTH :P once my nemesis for a year and then the moment i got my spesh roubaix expert, VOOOOOOOOOOMP, up there in no time :P ,NOT !! 8)

• Rich-Ti
    4.Rich - usual warm up ??
    Why not eh?! 8)

I say we get as many big hills in as possible - and I might even come back down and go again to keep the backmarkers company :P
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    8an usual place
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    and I might even come back down and go again to keep the backmarkers company :P

No ,as I said in an earlier post,please have my treacle tart and coffeee ready for when i get to the top of bollox hill :lol: muchas gracias but then again.....................

• The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    I'm keen but fear I might have to pass and/or cut things short as I'm flying out for Oz on Sunday and have a bit to do beforehand.

The long grazed legged one
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    The emu wrote:
    I'm keen but fear I might have to pass and/or cut things short as I'm flying out for Oz on Sunday and have a bit to do beforehand.

go on ,you know you want to !!!!

p.s need a taxi to Heathrow :wink:

• Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    homercles wrote:

Yep, that was the one.
    homercles wrote:
    Fuji Mackers wrote:

Fighting talk!!!! Twisted Evil

For those feeling like they didn't get enough pain, I call this one The Surrey Massacre:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Th ... y-Massacre

That 134kms is from Esher so if you consider the RP start then 160kms-ish, and has about 2700m of climbing :twisted: bahaaaaa......

I might head out early this weekend for a quick one, so you'll probably have to count me out. I'm happy to lead the the nutter ride above one weekend though.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Myk-ee
    homercles wrote:

Yep, that was the one.
    homercles wrote:
    Fuji Mackers wrote:

Fighting talk!!!! Twisted Evil

For those feeling like they didn't get enough pain, I call this one The Surrey Massacre:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Th ... y-Massacre

That 134kms is from Esher so if you consider the RP start then 160kms-ish, and has about 2700m of climbing :twisted: bahaaaaa......

I might head out early this weekend for a quick one, so you'll probably have to count me out. I'm happy to lead the the nutter ride above one weekend though.
  • I'd be keen to join you on the Saturday provided the weather isn't as bad as Metcheck is predicting... snow and skinny tyres aren't my favourite mix!
  • cc10
    cc10 Posts: 38
    Ok finally at last - barring further tennis incidents or last minute work issues - I am gonig to pluck up the courage and join you guys :) Pannick not I promise not to hold anyone up, might just tag along at the back to find my way out of London then spin around a little earlier if death is looking imminent :oops:

Right yes I will do it...will not chicken out :shock: :shock: :)
  • Rich-Ti
    cc10 wrote:
    Ok finally at last - barring further tennis incidents or last minute work issues - I am gonig to pluck up the courage and join you guys :) Pannick not I promise not to hold anyone up, might just tag along at the back to find my way out of London then spin around a little earlier if death is looking imminent :oops:

Right yes I will do it...will not chicken out :shock: :shock: :)
    Hello again cc10! :D

It's looking like this week may well be a much more sedate pace as a number of the faster guys have cried off already (Felgen, Phips, Art Vandelay) and Myk-ee and The Emu are looking doubtful. I still plan to head out though, weather permitting (if it's snowing I'll be indoors on the rollers!) and am happy to take anyone who wants to come along out for a spin, so please do join us! 8)
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    Well I'll be out regardless of the weather, a bit of snow never hurt anyone (Ok....it may have hospitalized SOME people on bicycles in the past) but I really doubt it's gonna settle into anything serious probably just cause it to be a little damp on the ground. :shock:

Mind you, you can't really tell with the messed up weather here. :D

Looks like we're already down on numbers for this weekend.... :cry: But yeh, I should be good to go, see you all this sat :D

By the way mykee, that route looks absolutely killer :lol: If we ever did that though I would HAVE to start from RP. Otherwise you lot would end up calling me a sissy for not doing the whole 160km :P
  • Rich-Ti
    It's more the cold and potential for ice that comes with the snow that bothers me Chris
    :wink: :roll: :lol:
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    I am aware that with sleet comes the possibility of the roads becoming a little slippery....I'm just hoping the ground/air temp is warm enough to just make it damp and not icy. :( Either way we'll see by the end of this week.

By the way Rich, are you up for weds night if people are gonna show? :D
  • Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    By the way Rich, are you up for weds night if people are gonna show? :D
    Possibly mate, yes - I'll keep an eye on the KW forum 8)
  • Myk-ee
    chrisw28 wrote:
    By the way mykee, that route looks absolutely killer :lol: If we ever did that though I would HAVE to start from RP. Otherwise you lot would end up calling me a sissy for not doing the whole 160km :P

They call me an idea's man!! 8)
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    I'm keen for a bit of Saturday action:)

As an aside, Felgen, are you a medic?
  • Rich-Ti
    Weather according to MetCheck for Sat is now 8degrees and sunny 8)