Will my stomach ever be flat

mongoosed
mongoosed Posts: 315
edited March 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hi folks,since i started mtb riding this year i've tried to lose the stomach,eating more healthy,bit of jogging,sit ups,out on the bike ,but i just can't notice any difference,any tips?

Robert.

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Liposuction.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    mongoosed wrote:
    Hi folks,since i started mtb riding this year i've tried to lose the stomach,eating more healthy,bit of jogging,sit ups,out on the bike ,but i just can't notice any difference,any tips?

Robert.

it takes time mate. keep at it and your fitness etc will soon make a difference yo ur bulge(not that one)lol.
    have fun out on ur rides and enjoy the mtb life. once u get ur fitness level up you'l b able to increase ur mileage and time out on the bike which will all help.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • mongoosed
    mongoosed Posts: 315
    antfly wrote:
    Liposuction.

Maybe do it with the dyson :D
  • sgray100474
    sgray100474 Posts: 117
    Try a slightly higher amount of protein in your diet and ease off on the carbs slightly especially simple carbs. Also try cutting out all bread for a month and see what difference that makes. Another thing, cut the situps out, what you are doing is building them up under the fat and counteracting the weight loss. Try just sucking your gut infrom lower groin to rib cage for a count of 5 for as many as you can comfortably do. You can increase the holding time over the weeks. This can be done sitting. standing or walking, dont forget to breathe when you are doing it while walking though.
  • i lost a shed load of weight recently mate. A few pointers that worked for me.
    1. stop eating at 6, make sure you have had a good healthy dinner and if u are really craving then have a protein shake.
    2. cut out the processed, white bread.
    3. try and cut out as much processed foods as you can.
    4. i kind of disagree with earlier post to cut out the sit ups. I believe good core-strength is essential for all people who participate in active sports. Although dont restrict yourself to sit ups.
    5. just be as active as you can while cutting out as much rubbish as you can.

but also allow for treats cos its a boring and lonely old road if you dont.

ps these are just what worked for me. :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Flat stomachs/six packs are all about low bodyfat.
    Yes abs exercises strengthen your muscles but if they are hidden by fat, you won't see anything. Generally you need less than 12% bf for a six pack.
  • Losing weight is tough. Period.

In simple terms eat less food!

There are good points made above. Consistency is key. I went from a bellied 13st in jan last year to a lean 10st 10lb in july. When I say lean I mean abs with veins showing. I did no cardio at all during this time i.e. the weight loss was purely through dietry manipulation.

Keep up the un-processed food with loads of veg. In fact drop out your starchy carbs after mid-day and replace with veg. I ate right before bed also otherwise I could not sleep but don't eat carbs before bed. I had salmon and veg...this combo is great for optimising your natural hormone profile whilst you sleep.. in simple terms it helps your recovery from exercise.

Your palate will adapt if you persevere. Most people with no real goal will not stick out a simple and healthy weight control diet.. hence most people just end up looking lke most people! Go for it.