Pace on a garmin

jthef
jthef Posts: 226
Hi I have a gamin 705 and has a pace value can some please explane and its meaning as I am not sure. I understand all the other reading though.

Thanks

Comments

• avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    isn't it like speed, but the other way round, minutes per km?

that's what it is on the forerunner. it's really for running I think.
  • I haven't got one (but would love one), but assume it's configurable and is a variation as the previous chap said on speed - a reverse calculation if you like, a bit like ETA. Perhaps more useful in running, but if you have a set course and a time to beat (a TT) it could be handy. Doesn't it also have a 'virtual partner' which must use the same sort of calculation as pace in order to measure today against yesterday or your mate etc?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    minutes per mile.

15 mph average would be 4 minute/mile pace.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    I haven't got one (but would love one), but assume it's configurable and is a variation as the previous chap said on speed - a reverse calculation if you like, a bit like ETA. Perhaps more useful in running, but if you have a set course and a time to beat (a TT) it could be handy. Doesn't it also have a 'virtual partner' which must use the same sort of calculation as pace in order to measure today against yesterday or your mate etc?

I've got a 705 and if you do the same route repeatedly the virtual partner function is great as you can see where you are compared to the selected run time that you want to race againsta nd modify your effort accordingly.....The first time I used it I brought myself home 6.5 miles ahead of my previous best over 53 miles. The time after I finished a mile ahead of the previous fastest and got myself back under 3 hours for the 50 miles for the first time since late last year.... It definately has a motivation factor associated with it for me anyway....
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • What with the recession and having a baby and only one wage I can't possibly justify buying one, but the virtual partner is a single reason I'd want one - I think I'd find it highly motivating too. Sound excellent.
  • jthef
    The only way I afforded it was everyone chipping in for Christmas and birthday and adding to it my self.
    The visual partner I am not over impressed with but if you want to test yourself against another day it is good. But when I have used the virtual partner the weather played too big a part, hopefully with the better weather coming it will be used again and impress.
    I am impressed with the training workouts, from mags and websites I have found several work outs to use on my commutes (I have put a press lap button in a lot of work outs so I say when I start the workout as some parts of the rought it is not safe to start doing intervals) and time will tell if I am putting enough effort in. I have programmed a functional threshold test in to it will all the warm ups in it and it was easy to follow and to get the results as the actual test is one lap and all the info is there. The only problem here is me, I need glasses to read but not to ride I can see the large lettering but the small stuff some times I can make it out others not :(
    The cadence is good and enlighten so there is a work out in it for me to increase my cadence.
    I have imported a gpx rought from memory maps and tried to follow it home and it was pants, BUT I was trying to go the wrong way so I thing it was all ways trying to go back to the start and not follow the programed rought :( so next week I will try and program it the right way.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    jthef wrote:
    The only way I afforded it was everyone chipping in for Christmas and birthday and adding to it my self.
    The visual partner I am not over impressed with but if you want to test yourself against another day it is good. But when I have used the virtual partner the weather played too big a part, hopefully with the better weather coming it will be used again and impress.
    I am impressed with the training workouts, from mags and websites I have found several work outs to use on my commutes (I have put a press lap button in a lot of work outs so I say when I start the workout as some parts of the rought it is not safe to start doing intervals) and time will tell if I am putting enough effort in. I have programmed a functional threshold test in to it will all the warm ups in it and it was easy to follow and to get the results as the actual test is one lap and all the info is there. The only problem here is me, I need glasses to read but not to ride I can see the large lettering but the small stuff some times I can make it out others not :(
    The cadence is good and enlighten so there is a work out in it for me to increase my cadence.
    I have imported a gpx rought from memory maps and tried to follow it home and it was pants, BUT I was trying to go the wrong way so I thing it was all ways trying to go back to the start and not follow the programed rought :( so next week I will try and program it the right way.

I have never actually used the workouts as I wasn't sure what exactly to do with them!

Also if you can't see the display properly you can limit the number of fields on display from 8 down to, say, 4 and the text should get larger...failing that wear contacts!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • jthef
    hi fuzzynavel
    The feild I can see but the lable I can't, also some of the alarms/ instructions some times I can some times can't.
    So in due coures its either cycling glasses, contacts or laser treatment.

As for the work outs a comon 1 I belive is called Tabitha.
    The way I have programed it in is :-
    walm up, ends when I press lap ( this is so I decided when to start, or you chould a warm up for 10 mins)
    Repeat 6 times
    Max for 20 seconds with a target of max heart rate zone 5
    Rest for 10 secs no target
    (End of repeat)
    Cool down, with no target, press lap to end (This is so I press lap when I get home and the full ride is recorded).

I got this from a web site for a 30 min sesion and its hard.