Official: it's the first day of spring!

boy on bike
boy on bike Posts: 139
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I've just cycled home from work without first donning leg warmers - I reckon this makes it offically Spring - 3 days early this year 8) 8) 8)

It was great to feel the wind rustling through my hair :shock: , but I did feel a little sorry for the motorists dazzled by the glare from the sun reflecting from my pasty winter-white legs :oops:

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    I've just cycled home from work without first donning leg warmers - I reckon this makes it offically Spring - 3 days early this year 8) 8) 8)

It was great to feel the wind rustling through my hair :shock: , but I did feel a little sorry for the motorists dazzled by the glare from the sun reflecting from my pasty winter-white legs :oops:

Yep, lots of very white legs around. Not a pretty sight. :( I tried leg warmers on Monday and am back with bib tights now, its still only 5 or 6 when I leave the house. My legs aren't coming out for at least another 6 weeks.
  • Leg warmers. Been in shorts since the end of Jan. Lovely and warm outside. (i may not seem sane, I have taken some big hits to the head playing rugby)
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I've been wearing my trousers/jeans (rolled up :oops:) for about a week or two now. Of course, that is when it's dry out. :)

I'd wear shorts but there is nowhere for my to change at uni, and shorts aren't warm enough for walking about in. Just awaiting summer for the shorts. :D

My work is like a 15 minute ride away, so that doesn't really merit the shorts. It probably doesn't merit SPDs either, but whatever. :roll:
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'm going to look for a pair of very short-shorts some time this weekend :D

I don't usually dare such things, however if I'm wearing them over cycling shorts I can be as daring as I like!

Super-tight denim hotpants maybe? Phwoarr!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    if british summer time starts on sunday 29th march, does that make spring the shortest season of the year?

Its been nice round here since saturday....sunday felt like the first day of summer and i was out on my usual wednesday night ride last night in shorts.....

long may it continue.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    sarajoy wrote:

I don't usually dare such things, however if I'm wearing them over cycling shorts I can be as daring as I like!

I saw a lady cycling this morning wearing small tight black shorts and what can only be described as fishnet tights....it wasn't terribly attractive, but i think that was because the lady forgot to look in the mirror before diciding on her attire for the day.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    yey! first day to ride home without jacket on! kept my bright yellow hump on though. not braving shorts yet.. its darn cold up North!... plus my legs too are pasty!

its so nice cycling in this weather with bright mornings and evenings!.. i didnt really start commuting till early winter. it all seems so much easier all of a sudden!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cee wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

I saw a lady cycling this morning wearing small tight black shorts and what can only be described as fishnet tights....it wasn't terribly attractive, but i think that was because the lady forgot to look in the mirror before diciding on her attire for the day.

I hope you took pictures because I think we all need to consider the merits or otherwise of this lady's choice of clothing!

(it wasn't Duffy, was it?)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    You know it's spring when the Chav's start shouting at you :roll: :roll:

I had a new variation last night, two of them shouted YOUR MOTHER at me on Bexleyheath Broadway, and then fell about laughing :shock: :shock: I can't help but feel that I missed part of the sentence :lol::lol: although 3 sylables is probably all the morons can manage in one go.

I can now predict when they're about to shout as there's usually a couple of sly glances over their shoulder as they move towards the edge of the pavement to surprise you. Next time I'm going to get in first :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • biondino wrote:
    cee wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

I hope you took pictures because I think we all need to consider the merits or otherwise of this lady's choice of clothing!

Well in some cases I would rather not. But if the are dressed in cycling gear I may have to reconsider as some women do look exceptional at this time of year.

(it wasn't Duffy, was it?)
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Half day off today (use it or lose it holiday before the end of March) so dug out the baggies and went for a ride - only 20k but very pleasant on country lanes in the sunshine. 8)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I managed to ride home on friday in shorts
    And today I am on the Orbea with no mudguards

Weather turns nasty again tomorrow apparently
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It's very spring like out there today :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.