cyclists on twitter

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
What'd you make of it? I see Lance Armstrong using it , I see the cycling media being cut out slightly as riders now communicate directly with the public instantly..good thing or bad? Also, are they real? Out of curiosity I searched out names of prominent cyclists...no Boardman, no cavendish, but a Robert Millar...

Comments

• millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    I quite like Dave Zabriskie's twitter. I don't think that twitter will ever replace the cycling media, even though it is quite interesting to read the thoughts of the riders first hand. I think it is broadly a good thing, anyway 140 characters is hardly enough space to set the world on fire is it?

What odds on the twitter Robert Millar being the real Robert Millar?
  • dave_1
    I quite like Dave Zabriskie's twitter. I don't think that twitter will ever replace the cycling media, even though it is quite interesting to read the thoughts of the riders first hand. I think it is broadly a good thing, anyway 140 characters is hardly enough space to set the world on fire is it?

What odds on the twitter Robert Millar being the real Robert Millar?

it seems hard to believe it is the Robert Millar. The cycling media are forced now to quote twitter from riders now...it's definitely changing some of the reporting, less and more hypothesising ... witness the immediate sniping reaction by LA to Contador..that would have taken 3 to 4 days to get to us a year ago as news
  • millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    witness the immediate sniping reaction by LA to Contador..that would have taken 3 to 4 days to get to us a year ago as news

I think that is Twitters main plus point, we have access to the immediate thoughts/musings of the rider without it having been edited/sanitised by a team's PR machine. I wouldn't discount the possibility that team PR infiltrates twitter, but I think the instant nature of it makes it easier for the riders to say things that perhaps wouldn't have made it outside the confines of the team bus in the pre-microblog age.
  • dave_1
    witness the immediate sniping reaction by LA to Contador..that would have taken 3 to 4 days to get to us a year ago as news

I think that is Twitters main plus point, we have access to the immediate thoughts/musings of the rider without it having been edited/sanitised by a team's PR machine. I wouldn't discount the possibility that team PR infiltrates twitter, but I think the instant nature of it makes it easier for the riders to say things that perhaps wouldn't have made it outside the confines of the team bus in the pre-microblog age.

yes true...the team press officer is kinda redundant as a spokesman...the rider can simply say what they think...look at the stuff LAs twitter is generating on quite a few forums...he's feeding them. I think twitter is good for the cycling fans and forums
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I love Twitter !!!

I am following Bike Radar on there and even Ivan Basso...

I am at www.twitter.com/jimmythecuckoo
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Oh god no. That's the problem with modern communication. Its too immediate and once its out its out. There's no way to claw it back! :shock:
    I have pain!
  • dave_1
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Oh god no. That's the problem with modern communication. Its too immediate and once its out its out. There's no way to claw it back! :shock:

I see a storm in a teacup over LA being unhappy at his hair being gouged at by drug testers...a year or two ago we'd still be waiting for LAs reaction...weeks even later.