10 speed Shimano cassette with 9 tooth small cog?!

fiverbag
fiverbag Posts: 4
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I have recently bought a Pacific Reach SL and it's a great bike. I bought it because it folds into quite a neat little bag to take on holidays but still has the same geometry as a full size road bike. In ordeer to fold so small it has 20 inch wheels which actually look really nice but due to the small size of the wheel the bottom cog on the cassette is a 9 tooth- any bigger and I wouldn't get the gear inches for faster rides. The problem I have is that it has 9 speed Shimano gears which shift fine but I am used to using Sram and am finding the handle- like leavers a bit arkward compared to what I'm used to. No problem I hear you cry, just get some Sram shifters and take off the Shimano ones. Problem is I can't find Sram shifters in a 9 speed. Alright then, I could put a 10 speed cassette on- the hub would fit one. again I have a problem in that I can't find a 10 speed Shimano fit cassette with a small cog size of 9 tooth. Please help!!!!

Craig, Norwich.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    are these drop bars or flats?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hmmm, AFAIK sram don't do 9spd shifters.

You could fit 10 speed stuff assuming the hub will take it (worth finding out the hub at least) and fitting a cassette with a more usual 11 or 12 tooth smallest sprocket. But also fitting a bigger set of chainrings perhaps, otherwise learn to spin!!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The problem with a 10 speed cassette is the big gap in sprocket size between your 9 and the next - probably a 12 as the smallest top sprocket is an 11. If you set your indexing up from the 2nd sprocket it should work - the 9 sprocket being acceptably close. Apart from trying it for yourself, can't really see their being any other options. The other alternative would be to fit some suitable Shimano 9 speed shifters and rear mech.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..