Mobiles when riding

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
If your phone rings when you are on your bike what do you do?

A - Ignore it!! (and check later when you are stopped anyway)

B - Stop and answer

C - Answer and carry on riding.

I would normally go for A but ocassionally B if I am meant to be at work.
Saw a guy in Richmond park yesterday who went for C and it looked a little dangerous to me.
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• D - be unaware that it has rung, because I'm on my bike, and my phone is at home, where it stays.
  • jellybellywmb
    Yes that is another option but I think most carry one for emergency reasons
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    E- ignore it, but maybe have a look later if I've stopped anyway and remember.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    MrChuck wrote:
    E- ignore it, but maybe have a look later if I've stopped anyway and remember.

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684

+1 to that. Always take it out with me as a 'just in case' lest something should happen, but by and large it's switched off. Never been very keen on mobiles anyway, and acquired one very reluctantly.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I always ignore my phone if I don't feel like answering it - that is what voicemail is for.

However, I do have a phone that allows me to set a special ringtone for Mrs Pneumatic's number and that of Chateau Pneumatic. When that tone rings, it's brakes on, unclip and at your service! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I don't hear it as I've usually got my music on (bad boy, dirty-boy!).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I don't hear it even when on loud in my back pocket, wind in the ears I'm going that fast :P
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    pneumatic wrote:
    However, I do have a phone that allows me to set a special ringtone for Mrs Pneumatic's number and that of Chateau Pneumatic. When that tone rings, it's brakes on, unclip and at your service! :D

Like the sound of that as I'm a stop & answer but tbh I'd happily ignore anybody but MrsK (who I wouldn't dare ignore) :shock:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    +1 to that. Always take it out with me as a 'just in case' lest something should happen, but by and large it's switched off. Never been very keen on mobiles anyway, and acquired one very reluctantly.
    David
    +1 too.

One of the my reasons the I love cycling is getting away from the city and the hurly burly and stresses of everyday life; I don't want to be contactable, I like the peace and quiet of the countryside.

When I eventually succumbed and bought a mobile, I only gave the number to a very select few who were told, in no uncertain terms, not to call me unless it was important. For this reason I do:
      B - Stop and answer
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    edited March 2009
    Echo.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    At my last work the control freak office manager, was on holidays in Barcelona with his girlfriend, using his mobile rang up one of the guys in the office on his mobile after hours to give instructions for the next day.

He rang up a day later to check up on what everyone else was up to.

He was only at that point away for 2 days, and in total was only away for a week.

He also complained that I never had my mobile on.

And he wonders why.... :?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Mine lives in my seat pack when riding, need to be crawling up some incline to hear it ring.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I answer mine without stopping,it`s a challenge.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Saw a guy in Richmond park yesterday who went for C and it looked a little dangerous to me.

It wasn't a guy in AG2R team kit by any chance?

It may have been me. I took a call from She Who Must Be Answered yesterday on my last lap.

I RP I think it's safe to ride with one hand. Wouldn't be doing it on the commute home in traffic though.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    When on my own, which is 99% of the time, i have my phone playing music to me so that doubles as a hands free. People don't usually chat long though because it's almost inaudible :)
  • jellybellywmb
    guinea wrote:

It wasn't a guy in AG2R team kit by any chance?

It may have been me. I took a call from She Who Must Be Answered yesterday on my last lap.

I RP I think it's safe to ride with one hand. Wouldn't be doing it on the commute home in traffic though.

It was you, bet you dont remember an Audi A3 with Bedford Audi across the back giving you a wide berth.
    I thought you were just really struggling up a slight slope and then saw the phone :)
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330

I dont carry ID when I ride so if the worst were to happen my phone can be checked for ICE (In Case of Emergency) or the number under home. Its also handy to be able to take photos of the registration number of the knob that just carved you up :lol: .

Answered mine yesterday during my ride (day off from work) it was a very quiet road, quick look over my shoulder nothing coming. I dont normally even answer it when Im out but was expecting the call.
  • Soreknees
    Soreknees Posts: 68
    Normally it's C. All my work comes via the phone so it has to be answered. There is probably a law against it though...... :roll:
  • Usually ignore it.

BTW, why does it always ring when going up hill?

Carry for emergencies. Had cause to use it once. Big off. Called son to retrieve bike & take me to hospital. Couldn't rely on passing motorists' assistance - over 50 cars passed before son arrived and just one stopped to as if I was OK - claerly not with broken bike and obvious injury!
    There's no such thing as too old.