B Twin Titanium - great value or dodgy brand?

pedlad
pedlad Posts: 127
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Just looking around for my son's first pedal bike and got distracted as you do into looking at my next (4th) one instead...

I am right in thinking this fantastic value at £1400 for Ti frame, Ultegra sl throughout ...

or is B Twin a bit of a ropey make?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/comp-3-34962872/

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    As you know, it's Decathlon so pretty cheap and cheerful supermarket stock, might do you fine. The ti is coupled with carbon seatstays so it depends if you like that feeling. But you're right; it is good enough value.
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    i beleive bwin have provided bikes for pro teams in the past [if not now] AG2R springs to mind. They always provide good value for money.
    I am a titanium fan and i must say i like the look of this one. Ultegra groupset is proven and finishing kit looks decent. On the face of it looks to represent very good money.
    Might be worth looking at what you can get from Van Nicholas for that money.
    another obvservation is i believe i'm right in saying they are the sponsors of Real Madrid and one of the Milan teams shirts, ok i know not football but that does show they are associated with some big players.
    definite vote for titanium, cheers, scurry
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    But if you were a ti fan you wouldn't even consider the uneccesary carbon seatstays, carbon forks ok yes. And you have to doubt the quality of the titanium for that kind of money ....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The footy sponsor is Bwin, online betting etc. The bike is BTwin, completely unrelated. Unless you consider buying a bike online to be internet gambling....
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    And you have to doubt the quality of the titanium for that kind of money ....

the frame is Dedacciai and made from 3-2.5, according to the spec. It can't be that bad...
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    apologies keef66, never was any good at spelling !! are you a tractor boy ?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It has an entire carbon rear triangle, tbh i'd avoid it, if you want a nice Ti bike, look at the gazelle one.

Took one for a spin, lovely bike, full Ti with carbon forks. Perfect.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Although Decathlon have previously sponsored AG2R, the nearest the team bikes ever got to a Decathlon store was on the way from Cyfac to the Service Course! That said, it's great value - and probably a lot better than many of the me-too carbon frames out there. I'm not sure the previous poster has any experience of a ti/carbon frame to make judgement - I have a full carbon, a full titanium and ti/carbon bikes - one simply handles and rides better than the others. It depends on your preferences and style of riding, but for a smooth ride on rough roads, I've found there are few peers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    edited March 2009
    Duplicate post :oops:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Well if you wanted an expensive Ti bike, you know where to go:

Lynskey, Seven, Litespeed, Moots, Eriksen, Merlin... and many others.

I don't think Decathlon is all that bad. They offer value for money and don't really pretend otherwise...
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    thanks for some good comments.

Intrigued by the concern over the rear carbon triangle. What is the perceived problem with it seeing as carbon forks are pretty universal on ti frames? Is it that Ti has good enough damping properties to not need extra carbon?

My current alu spez has carbon forks and seat stays and has served me well, but I'd be interested to know what was meant by the particular ride properties of this set up over say an entirely carbon frame such as the ribble sportive
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    This very website gave it 5 stars. Looks a good buy at £1500.

When last in France I was amazed it just how many Decathlon BTwin bikes there were around.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... mp-3-32122
    Ciao Marco
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ascurrell

Despite the fact that we lived in Ipswich for 3 years I don't support them. Taking more interest in the fate of Newmarket Town, since they are managed by the chap who ran our youngest son's side for several years.

My boss (imagine Homer Simpson, only not as yellow) has a 5 series BMW with plush cream leather seats, and a lovely Tractor Boy scarf in the rear window. His office door has a bloody great Ipswich Town sign on it, and every year he has the new kit; skin-tight; he looks like a blue space-hopper.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    At the other end of the scale - I brought the £250 decathlon sport 7.1 , since rebadge as btwin - for £250 this has been my comuter and its been great. My concern about the more expensive decaths is they lack a wow factoe for bikes costing over £1000 - they look a bit bland - depends if that bothers you.

I always go lower spec - flashy paint job - but my pinarello I have had for almost 8 years - and its only now I am thinking about a replacement.