Belgian awaits large fine after motorway stunt

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
A belgian cyclist has landed himself in hot water after posting a video of himself on you tube. Apparently, the man had a bet with a friend, and the bet was that he could keep up with a H.G.V. on the motorway. In September of last year they went to a motorway cafe and waited for a H.G.V. to leave and go onto the motorway. In the video you can see quite clearly what happen,s.
Unfortunately the justice department have also seen it and are not amused. The man can expect a heavy fine.Bloody nuts if you ask me.
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/959/Bizar/arti ... oete.dhtml Ademort :shock: :shock:
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Good video on there showing the physics of how he was able to keep up (you dont need it to be in english to understand it seems)
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    he's been watching 'Breaking Away' again :lol:
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    That's the spirit ! Full marks to the lad . :D

Hope the justices are lenient with him . A prank only .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It is amazing how you can get sucked along by large lorries and buses. This morning I managed to get tucked behind a bus going along London Bridge, it pulled me along at about 40mph for a bit then pulled over at a bus stop. As I pulled out from behind it, a wall of air hit me and instantly slowed me down very quickly
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If the truck had slowed down even slightly, with him so close behind he would have immediately impacted it, come off and then been run over.

Very dangerous.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    Dangerous or not that guy is full of awesome!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If I'm not very much mistaken, the person filming this is going to be in big trouble, too.

Nobody but the driver could have got that camera angle on the dashboard and the road.

Not funny.

Or to put it another way, how many rants are there on this board about drivers distracted when using phones, watching TV and goodness knows what else? What is more this guy has a speeding cyclist right in front of him.

As for the glorious physics, that is what test tracks are for.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    chuckcork wrote:
    If the truck had slowed down even slightly, with him so close behind he would have immediately impacted it, come off and then been run over.

Very dangerous.
    This is true.

I came off of a hill at speed and found myself behind a bus which dragged me along at ~35mph. Exilerating as it was, I was very aware that my brakes were no match for the bus's. Would not do it again.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Now that's what I call motor pacing.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Thats so cool! I saw some good bus drafting video on youtube as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2RyLqWiikc
    Shazam !!