Saddle help

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Got 3 months training left till do the Raid Pyranees and have a saddle prob.

Had a Bontrager Race Light that was uncomfortable.

Swopped it for an Selle Italia SLR Flow Gel - get to 40 miles mark and killing my arse.

Any suggestions anyone, both hurt on the bones bit either side on each cheek!

Going to be in saddle 8-9 hours in 3 months and stressed.

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Go to your LBS and see if they'll let you sit on any and try them out. I've tried a few and ended up with a San Marco Concor.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    san marco concor is a very comfortable saddle. I have been using them for 10 years. The only saddles I know that are as comfortable is a San marco Rolls classic and an old Orange MTB saddle.
    some suggestions you might try wearing additional padded shorts over the top to double up on padding, Wearing a padded undershort under your usual shorts ,Sewing a spare pad inside your shorts . Try looking at some MTB saddles which tend to have more gel . Perhaps consider using a sprung seatpost.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    saddle shape is far more important than how much padding it has. In the last few months I have switched to Charge 'spoon' and 'knife' saddles - got to be the most comfortable saddles I have ever ridden on.

Can't believe it has taken me 20 years to find a saddle that I really like...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like the Spoon. V cheap too.

Pricier alternative is the Fizik range. Arione is good for me for 100 milers.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    softlad wrote:
    saddle shape is far more important than how much padding it has. ...

i think that that statement might not necessarily be true for everybody. A lot depends on your cycling fitness how often you ride the mileage you do, ... your age ,.....gender,...... weight ...type of bike and riding position ie upright or stretched or TT etc etc

One saddle doesn't suit all otherwise there wouldn't be more saddles sold than probably any other bike component .

I have bought 4 saddles just in the last 6 months and haven't found my perfect saddle yet . :roll: :(:(
  • jellikins
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36227

Ok, been looking at this one on offer.

Any thoughts?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    peanut wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    saddle shape is far more important than how much padding it has. ...

i think that that statement might not necessarily be true for everybody.

it applies across the board, whether you know it or not. The important factor is how the saddle supports your crotch and sit bones. Using Brooks saddles as an example - if you take the time to allow then to form to your own shape, they end up as the most comfortable saddle you will ever own - with no 'padding' at all...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`m another for the Arione,very easy on the sit bones.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jellikins wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36227

Ok, been looking at this one on offer.

Any thoughts?

Bargain

Even better that it's white one without the dodgy creme suede patch down the middle like on mine.....I looked for ages for a white/red arione with no luck :cry:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jellikins
    Yeah, thought it was a good deal.

Ordered one and hope this is easier on my sit bones! Mind you, the wife will go bloody spare when another parcel arrives this week!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have all my parcels arrive at work now. Much less hassle.