Yo Roadies !!! Training tires what do you ride with??

jamieleung
jamieleung Posts: 49
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Just wondering what training tires you fellow roadies train on.

I am thinking of purchasing the Continental Ultra GatorSkin it sounds like a very durable and reliable choice of tire..I have been a Michelin user for many years and thought I would go for change of manufacture.

So people what tires do you train with and possible recommendations 8)

Comments

• Cheers dude nice find..this tyre is certainly and good comparison to the Ultra Gatorskin.

Just not sure whether to keep with Michelin or try out a different manufacture?
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I use pro 3's on my summer bike and Vitoria rubino pros on my winter bike.
    The Vitorias have been great through the winter, they have cut up a little but not as much as my summer pro 3's.
    The vitorias are very cheap to
  • yeah the pro 3's are pretty soft and have cornering grip..I found out a few seasons ago that Hutchinson tires are extremely soft and prone to a lot of wear and tear :P

Thanks for your help.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited March 2009
    Pro race 3's and conti gp4000 never had problems with either but haven't been cycling that long. Only problem i had was with one of the conti's but that was because it wasn't pumped up enough and i went over the edge of a drain so it snak bit
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve used Michelin Krylion Carbon all through the winter and they have been excellent, no punctures. The roads here in the Netherlands have been very heavily gritted the last months, but still the Krylions have not let me down.
    Ademort :)
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • wow I love the Netherlands great country visited a few years back without the bike though :( I live in the UK..the roads are terrible compared to the Netherlands :P I have also been viewing the Krylion Carbon, will take them into consideration thanks.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I'm a fan of Conti ultra gator skins. Never had a problem fitting them to any rim and excellent puncture protection aswell.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Vittoria rubinos - for under a tenner these are great tyres.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I have been using Conti Ultra Gators, Michelin Krylion carbons and Pro Race 2/3s for the past couple winters and the Gators are fine tyres new but not when get down on tread, and the krylion carbons are good tyres but to me the Pro Races you can use virtually year round. Very durable!
  • to kingrollo - where did you purchase the Victtoria Rubinos for under a tenner? :lol:
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    training tyres-what are they?

pro race 3's all year - 1 puncture
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I use GP4000's year round now. I tried the gatorskins, but didn't like them much (I didn't get the same level of confidence-inspiring handling when cornering)
  • jards666
    jards666 Posts: 18
    rubinos £10.99 each on wiggle 5 different colours aswell
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I'm currently rocking/rolling/running Conti GP4000S's and find them to be very nice. Great grip, dont seem to cut too easy, confidence inspiring in the wet, roll nicely and feel nice to roll on. They look sweet too.

Cant comment on durability cos I've only laid down just shy of 250 miles on them.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Rubino Pro - folding.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Conti Gators. Gp 4000 for summer wheels :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • AssOs
    AssOs Posts: 72
    Do you notice a lot of difference between heavier winter tyres and the lighter summer tyres?

I'm running conti gator's with a plasic tyre liner on the rear for winter and conti's gp3000 in summer. Both 23's and too be honest I can only notice a slight performance difference.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've been using Rubino Pro slicks all winter and whilst they have lasted OK they definitely don't grip as well as a decent race tyre. Now for the money I don't suppose you'd expect them to but I'm not someone that pushes the envelope on cornering but I've still had a few disconcerting moments with them in the wet. It's the first time I've had a set of tyres that I've really thought about ditching before they were worn out.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    For the last two rides I've been using some schwalbe tyre I can't remember the name of... too worn to rent out for 2 weeks, but too good to throw away. The front is in a similar situation... michelin speedium or something.

So I'll thoroughly wear those out - then I wouldn't mind trying out a new set of continental attack/force tyres... kind of like a 'reward' for going out and doing more training miles this week. :)
  • DaleH
    DaleH Posts: 12
    Using Conti. gp 4seasons ,only 250miles on them so far . Not the cheepest ,but i'm happy with them.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Conti 4000s - year round tyre for me. I have them on both bikes.
  • My vote goes for the Michelin Krylions. Had them for about a year now, no punctures in over 2500 miles and remember riding through some pretty dodgy stuff (Glass/Flint etc).

8) 8) 8)
  • Duplicate post
    Duplicate post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gavintc wrote:
    Conti 4000s - year round tyre for me. I have them on both bikes.

Same here for me in Spain.
    Myprotein referral code mp288135 (get money off)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Schwalbe Ultremo's are my choice, survived the winter fine for sure. Might try the DD version next although they're a bit heavier.
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    for winters and crappier weather i get on well with the bontrager hard cases. reasonably priced too and seem to last a long time.