Racing wheels.

garetjax
garetjax Posts: 175
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
hi,

im considering getting some new wheels. I am looking for a good all rounder reallly.
Last couple of years I have started doing more and more local time trials and hill climb events, and have started going out with a faster chain gang.
Thus far I have just used Mavic Aksiums, but I want to upgrade to a quailty wheel set. My price range is 300-600 quid for a set/pair. I want to stick with clinchers.

I was thinking of :
Planet X 50mm Clinchers ( £600)
Easton EA90 Aero TT wheels ( £450)
Mavic Ksryium Elites ( £ 352)
Any other suggestions?

I am no expert on this, but know that aero is good for speed and light is good for climbing. Any good all rounders?

Comments

• paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    I got the Mavic Ksryium Elites 2 weeks ago and they seem to be great. Had the Shimano 105s.
    They look smart aswell.
  • paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    I got the Mavic Ksryium Elites 2 weeks ago and they seem to be great. Had the Shimano 105s.
    They look smart aswell.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    for factory hoops then the '09 Elites do look good - check out some good prices at Merlin.

For that money you could get a very nice pair of handbuilts, and spec them exactly how you want them in terms of weight, durability, aero etc.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I'd avoid all carbon clinchers like the Planet X if I were you. Puncture at speed = possible rim crunching. A carbon brake surface also means inferior braking.

The Eastons look the best bet to me out of the ones you've listed - lighter and deeper than the Elites, and very easy on the eye as well.
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    I have the easton's and apart from a freehub issue from new fixed under warrenty they've been great for my general riding needs. Feel very light and fast compared to my previous wheels and standing up to having my weight on them.
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Fulcrum Racing 3?
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'd suggest these:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... ncy&id=GBP

You can get them in grey too if you don't fancy gold. Widely used on the pro circuit which seems a good indicator of performance. If youwant to spend a little less, consider the Eurus or Zonda - they're all great wheels!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Another option, and at the cheaper end, you could go for RS80's - 390g rims - not an aero wheel, but good hubs, light rims, low spoke count. I'd happily use them (if on a restricted budget).