Favourite places to sleep

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
After a mother of a ride my preference is:

1, Sofa
2, Wood floor in lounge with massive cushions for head support (and one to hold like a rag doll.....of course)
3, My garden cigar and martini drinking chair (on a nice day)
4, the futon in the office....
5, Bed (although it is normally covered in clothes or has been trampled by children)
6, Whilst drink - usually not cycling, park bench or Parisien doorway (see deportation order and 3 year ban)

A little window into my lowly life.....but sleep is good for the soul, I manage very little these days, due to lifestyle choices, so I cherish the moment's....

Comments

• Sofa
    Bed
    On the lawn in the Sun
    Front seat of any car fully reclined when knackered at the office
    Well if Im drunk I can sleep almost anywhere as proved a year ago when I was woken up by the law asking if I was dead. I said no and went back to sleep (comfy grass verge turned out to be some ones lawn)
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    On a pile of silk cushions in Sheik Ali Barbars Hareem.

One of the best nights I have had in real life was on a 2ft deep ledge 3,500ft up a rock face in the Alps near Chamonix. I didn't sleep that much because of my partners snoring but I did get to watch an electric storm rattle through the next valley and all the lights of the cars etc spending their saturday night on the town in Chamonix 8,500ft below. At first light the Aiguille du Midi cable car started up and I could watch the first cabins go past only 400m away but completely out of reach until we had completed 6 hours more climbing.

Give me a warm sleeping bag and a comfy mat and I am happy as larry.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • On the sofa, in my pants with feet up on the coffee table with a cold beer

If the mrs asks, I never had my feet up on the table
    As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or cycling helmets approaches one
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    My own bed.

Although the most looked-forward-to bed I've ever had was my lovely warm sleeping bag in a freezing cold camping barn in the freezing cold Lake District on a freezing cold February night years ago.
  • Following my back problems, we "invested" in a Tempur mattress.

Bed is now the best place by a mile to sleep. By. A. Mile.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Greg66 wrote:
    Following my back problems, we "invested" in a Tempur mattress.

+1 on Tempur ahhhh sweet sweet supporting space age materials :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mattybain
    mattybain Posts: 115
    Greg66 wrote:

So they are really worth the money? been thinking about getting one for years but always put off by the £££'s
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Tucked up in a bivvy bag and watching the winter sun rise on Ben Hope - once in a lifetime experience 8)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    At first light the Aiguille du Midi cable car started up and I could watch the first cabins go past only 400m away but completely out of reach until we had completed 6 hours more climbing.

Frendo Spur? Was on my list but never climbed, way back before my climbing partner got the fear and I got responsibilities...

J
  • mattybain wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

So they are really worth the money? been thinking about getting one for years but always put off by the £££'s

I was sceptical, but yes. If you have a medical condition that relates to posture and can get a doc or a physio to sign to that effect, you can get the VAT back.

Find a shop with some to try out, because different ones in the range have different feels.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    My bed in Essex. Bed, I miss you. I may bring you to London.

I have one of those tempur mattress top things. They're good too - I think the whole mattress might be a bit too squidgy for me.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Whilst being driven somewhere in the car. Brilliant to wake up by the river side for a days fishing and have slept the whole way.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    On a long distance train, I don't know exactly what it is but the rocking and travel makes me fall asleep sitting up which I normally can never do. And then waking up to see countryside or a strange station is great.
    Make sure all valubles are hidden VERY well first. :lol:
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Feltup
    jedster wrote:
    At first light the Aiguille du Midi cable car started up and I could watch the first cabins go past only 400m away but completely out of reach until we had completed 6 hours more climbing.

Frendo Spur? Was on my list but never climbed, way back before my climbing partner got the fear and I got responsibilities...

J

Yep, bivied below the final rognan after getting held up and then rescuing a couple of spanish climbers. Was a fantastic climb and actually the bivi made it more special.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • One of the best nights I have had in real life was on a 2ft deep ledge 3,500ft up a rock face in the Alps near Chamonix. I didn't sleep that much because of my partners snoring but I did get to watch an electric storm rattle through the next valley and all the lights of the cars etc spending their saturday night on the town in Chamonix 8,500ft below. At first light the Aiguille du Midi cable car started up and I could watch the first cabins go past only 400m away but completely out of reach until we had completed 6 hours more climbing.

Frendo Spur?
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    <i>Frendo Spur?
    </i>

beat you too it, see above :wink:
  • Feltup
    Well done to you both, was it the A du M line that gave it away? :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Spotting a theme here.........

I can easily fall asleep on my sofa, helped by the fact that I'm rather short and the sofa is rather large!
    Bed would probably be next but I then have to share that with at least the wife and usually wake up to find at least 1 child in it by the morning, meaning I need to contort myself around them!
    After these would probably be wrapped up in my lovely double sleeping bag, with my wife in our tent in the father in laws field when we visit him. Perfect silence and a wonderful starry sky on a clear night :-D
    I have slept on sofa cushions and half on/half off a single mattress when I first meet the wife (then GF) not that they are places I want to sleep again!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • In my hammock, in a forest in the a55hole of nowhere in Aragon, Spain.

That was until someone started clay pigeon shooting at around 5am :evil: