Sticky patches for road tyre inner tubes?

BigLee1
BigLee1 Posts: 449
edited April 2009 in The workshop
What do people rate? I had a flat on my road bike the other day and repaired it with a park tools patch and in the morning it had gone down. When I removed the tyre again it looks like the patch couldn`t handle the 110 psi I inflated it to and wasn`t stuck down where the air had squeezed past! I did put it on properly and have used these patches on my mtb but only at a max of 50psi.
Any tips for patches for next time?

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• I never bother with patches on road tyres - they can't handle the high pressures.

Take a couple of spare inner tubes with you . Check your tyres regularly for signs of wear and tear of course.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Hi Big Lee

I used to be like simianwatching until I got so many flats that it just became too expensive to do that strategy.....

I think the parktools ones are meant to be temporary....

Have you tried the "traditional" puncture repair kit with the glue and chalk and so on? If so the tip I got from here is LET IT DRY for about 4-5 mins before applying the patch...

So parktools to get you home and then proper repair...

Just a thought.....
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Thanks lads, I have put a new tube in and binned the repaired one. I normally carry a couple of tubes anyway. This flat was my fault, a spoke had broke and I nipped the tube getting the tyre off :oops: :lol: The Bontrager tyres on the bike are Hard case ones and seem to be very resistant to punctures, I`ve pulled some good size bits of sharp things out of them before :D
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Agree with Jeepie on this one. Applied properly glued patches will last as long as the tube even with very high pressures. A bit of a waste to just throw away a tube with a single puncture.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Try the rema puncture kits,the tubes are like new if you do it properly.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • johans
    johans Posts: 24
    I've used the Park GP2 glueless patches a number of times and they have worked as well as good old traditional glue patches for me. Given the hassle of glue always drying out once you open the tube I highly recommend GP2 patches.

Agree that just using new tubes is not economical or necessary - I take a spare tube but in a lot of cases (glass shard puncture) it is easier to apply a GP2 without needing to remove the wheel or entire tube.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    johans wrote:
    I've used the Park GP2 glueless patches a number of times and they have worked as well as good old traditional glue patches for me. Given the hassle of glue always drying out once you open the tube I highly recommend GP2 patches.

Agree that just using new tubes is not economical or necessary - I take a spare tube but in a lot of cases (glass shard puncture) it is easier to apply a GP2 without needing to remove the wheel or entire tube.

What sort of pressure are you putting in your glueless patched tube?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I use the glued patches all the time as a permanent fix.
    Never had a problem on pressures up to 120psi.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    dazzawazza wrote:

+1 I've been using the glued patched made by Slime. 120psi nae bother.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I use the Weldtite patches 110psi no problem.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • DavidS84
    DavidS84 Posts: 2
    Absolutely agree with the previous post - the red, circular Weldtite patches work to v high psi, and they're a lot less hassle than dealing with glue (and cheaper than scrapping the tube).

I had the same experience as you with the Park patch - when I removed the tube the following day, the Park patch had leaked, but the Weldtite patches were still firmly fused in place (from a couple of repairs carried out months ago).

Go with the Weldtites!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    dazzawazza wrote:

+1 been using the Park patches for ages at around 110psi and not had any problems.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'