Starting Again - Dizziness..

reppohkcor
reppohkcor Posts: 111
I've just started training again after a long spell out - boy have i realised how unfit i am...Having a low natural body fat % is very deceiving!

Anyway, i've been out 4 times so far, same hill (which i want to do without stopping) and i'm getting very dizzy/disorientated almost like i'm going to black out. It doesn't seem like my strength is an issue, its more like i'm struggling to catch a breath. . . Is this normal or should i tell the doc?

For anyone who knows the area - its portway hill past upton going upto cranham, cotswolds.

Oh and also its not the feeling you get due to low blood sugar level (i'm not shaky or anything)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Maybe pushing too hard for your fitness? You need to start back gently and work up.

A health check is always a good idea, get the BP checked out and other stuff.
  • Furkuk
    Furkuk Posts: 71
    Same as above
    Get your blood pressure checked and take it easy at the beginning. Let your body get used to the exercise before you start to push it. You will improve quite quickly :D
    Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3
  • matt2085
    matt2085 Posts: 25
    don't know if this is relevant, but here I go anyways:

I'm currently training to join the TA, I push myself to my limit every run I do now therefore at the end I'm tasteing blood and feeling very dizzy.. if I pace myself I'm fine, just when I push myself to my limit for fastst time possible. It could be that your just pushing yourself too hard? have you tried pacing yourself? if this happens with a light jog even too, I would get straight to a doc.

Thanks, matt
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    I'm in the same boat as you. Just starting back and my fitness is shocking to say the least. Was out this morning to see the XC track they're running the first round of the XC NPS series on here and it nearly killed me. Was off and walking more than in the saddle, but had to push because I had an experienced guy showing me around. (Bearing in mind that my "pushing" involved doing the course in 45 minutes whereas I'm told it'll take 15-20 minutes on race day. lol) In my defence it was very muddy so I spent as much time spinning out as going forward and about 3/4 of the time was spent going uphill...but I'm just SO unfit :oops:

So getting back on track, the dizziness is a sign that you're pushing too hard. It's more noticeable if you stop suddenly, doesn't happen if you cool down for about 10-15 minutes after. Just go for a gentle spin along the road or whatever, no exertion and it should help keep the dizziness/nausea/tunnelvision/blackouts (in that order) at bay.

Best of luck with it.
  • reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    Its much better now. I can almost do the 240m 1mile ascent in one go. :lol: Off road in harsh conditions is still pushing me, but i just take it easy, concentrate on my pace etc.
  • Ameetcam
    Ameetcam Posts: 21
    reppohkcor wrote:
    I've just started training again after a long spell out - boy have i realised how unfit i am...Having a low natural body fat % is very deceiving!

Anyway, i've been out 4 times so far, same hill (which i want to do without stopping) and i'm getting very dizzy/disorientated almost like i'm going to black out. It doesn't seem like my strength is an issue, its more like i'm struggling to catch a breath. . . Is this normal or should i tell the doc?

For anyone who knows the area - its portway hill past upton going upto cranham, cotswolds.

Oh and also its not the feeling you get due to low blood sugar level (i'm not shaky or anything)

Hi

I'm a GP and thought you might like some friendly advice.
    As I don't know your history/age/full history, let your doc know about your symptoms and let them know what you're normally like when not exercising, and how long it takes for your symptoms (shortness of breath and dizziness only?) take to come on upon exerting yourself. Next time you get them try taking your pulse and checking the rate and whether its a regular beat. You might pick up that you're actually having a palpitation if your heart beat is irregular, which can cause dizziness and shortness of breath.

Its a good idea to check that you're in good condition before you start doing exercise.
    They might organise a resting ECG, blood pressure, and a urine test to test for sugar and possibly a chest X-ray.

Alll the best!
    :)

A