Nohup

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Forgot to Nohup a massive dump out of a DB - now have to sit here all night with my laptop online waiting for the fecking thing to finish......gonna take at least 3 hours, no sleep for me tonight.

su - Luser....

More online shopping then....

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Tee hee we've all done it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bg_(Unix)

Personally I use screen that way I can suspend or disconnect my terminal sessions and reconnect from anywhere anytime, very powerful util esp over remote ssh connections.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/ ... een.1.html
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    itboffin wrote:
    I can honestly say I never have :?

Because I have no idea what you're talking about
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    prawny wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I can honestly say I never have :?

Because I have no idea what you're talking about

:lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:

Personally I use screen that way I can suspend or disconnect my terminal sessions and reconnect from anywhere anytime, very powerful util esp over remote ssh connections.

Or VNC... run a desktop somewhere stable & connect from your desk, remote office, home, the train...

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Or VNC... run a desktop somewhere stable & connect from your desk, remote office, home, the train...

Cheers,
    W.

Over ssh or similar I should hope :wink:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I love geek speak, no idea what is being said, might as well be in Welsh :wink::D
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • prawny
    Feltup wrote:
    I love geek speak, no idea what is being said, might as well be in Welsh :wink::D

Oh no welsh is far easier to understand, this is like thai, or ancient greek :lol:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gtvlusso
    It took 5 and 1/4 hours in the end......That's ERDB for you...on a busy V480 cluster.

My linux workstation broke, otherwise I would have left it on there or left my laptop in the office - needed my laptop for Work from home today (so could not leave it) - hence why I was annoyed at myself for:

a, not calculating it out in terms of previous dumps, memory and so on.
    b, not backgrounding the task "&"
    c, not nohup'ing the process

killing the session (and shell) would kill my jobs and probably cock up the DB as it was extracting.......Mmmm ssh (or telnet!)

su - Luser

ps -ef| grep -i luser

nohup /usr/local/scripts/dmp_luser

Doh!
  • itboffin
    I just spent 30 mins trying to fix a ubuntu gconf issue after a dead battery on the laptop, fools on the Internet just reinstalled the OS :shock:

What is wrong with people, the turn it off and on then reinstall generation.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    prawny wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

Oh no welsh is far easier to understand, this is like thai, or ancient greek :lol:

are you sure you don't mean ancient geek :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • prawny
    Rich158 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

are you sure you don't mean ancient geek :wink:
    I did think that after I posted that :D
    itboffin wrote:
    dead battery on the laptop

Ooh I know what that is 8)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    I just spent 30 mins trying to fix a ubuntu gconf issue after a dead battery on the laptop, fools on the Internet just reinstalled the OS :shock:

Yeah, exactly. Some people, sheesh. :roll:

I worry that as a non it geek I never get the most out of my computers.

Mr. Boffin, care to share some Mac know how?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Yeah, exactly. Some people, sheesh. :roll:

Mr. Boffin, care to share some Mac know how?

Best thing for your mac is keep the desktop clear of docs apps etc. less is def more, turn off everything your not using all the time widgets etc. startup login items and don't allow your hard disk to fill up more than 75%

Mac-tastic :D
  • gtvlusso
    I don't have a PC at home - have 150 various flavour unix and FTX clusters to look after for work.......Mmmm FTX (Fault Tolerant Unix!)

Thats enough to last me a lifetime......I was even reluctant to but a TV!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

No-one uses all of a computer's features. It's a general purpose device intended to be many things to many people and contains functionality that was built in to meet requirements you don't have.

Same applies to mobile 'phones and other sophisticated consumer-tech.

Learn what you need to to make life easier.. by all means look for more and better ways to use the technology available but don't worry about "wasting" capability, that's a design feature!

Cheers,
    W.
  • il_principe

No-one uses all of a computer's features. It's a general purpose device intended to be many things to many people and contains functionality that was built in to meet requirements you don't have.

Same applies to mobile 'phones and other sophisticated consumer-tech.

Learn what you need to to make life easier.. by all means look for more and better ways to use the technology available but don't worry about "wasting" capability, that's a design feature!

Cheers,
    W.

That's kinda what I meant Buns, just worded it badly!
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Too late now, but couldn't you have ctrl-z / bg'd it ?
    Today is a good day to ride
  • itboffin
    girv73 wrote:
    Too late now, but couldn't you have ctrl-z / bg'd it ?

Beat you too it. :wink:
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    I don't have a PC at home - have 150 various flavour unix and FTX clusters to look after for work.......Mmmm FTX (Fault Tolerant Unix!)

Blimey! Who do you work for, and do they have black helicopters?
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • thrope
    thrope Posts: 69
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It took 5 and 1/4 hours in the end......That's ERDB for you...on a busy V480 cluster.

My linux workstation broke, otherwise I would have left it on there or left my laptop in the office - needed my laptop for Work from home today (so could not leave it) - hence why I was annoyed at myself for:

killing the session (and shell) would kill my jobs and probably fool up the DB as it was extracting.......Mmmm ssh (or telnet!)

su - Luser

ps -ef| grep -i luser

Doh!

Guess it's a bit late - but you could have background'd the running process by using ctrl-z, then do 'jobs' to check which number, then 'bg %1' - or even better 'disown -h %1' which nohups the running process as well...
  • gtvlusso
    thrope wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

killing the session (and shell) would kill my jobs and probably fool up the DB as it was extracting.......Mmmm ssh (or telnet!)

su - Luser

ps -ef| grep -i luser

Doh!

Guess it's a bit late - but you could have background'd the running process by using ctrl-z, then do 'jobs' to check which number, then 'bg %1' - or even better 'disown -h %1' which nohups the running process as well...

Ah yes! Good ol process control......I was in remotely, sadly, and was not gonna mess about remapping my keyboard for the session....It was 3am! I am intrinsically lazy!
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation right now, but seriously considering putting the 450mhz G4 PowerMac back together and chucking Ubuntu on there again.

I know that as soon as I stick a wireless card in there that it'll all go tits up though. :lol:
  • itboffin
    Throlkim wrote:
    I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation right now, but seriously considering putting the 450mhz G4 PowerMac back together and chucking Ubuntu on there again.

I know that as soon as I stick a wireless card in there that it'll all go tits up though. :lol:

Get back to work you slacker :P
  • Throlkim
    My current work progress seems to be going a lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk

I'm a web designer/developer, my patience is limited with writing about the media in vietnam :D
  • itboffin
    Throlkim wrote:
    My current work progress seems to be going a lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk

I'm a web designer/developer, my patience is limited with writing about the media in vietnam :D

Nam! ...you weren't there man...! :lol:
  • Throlkim
    Just received this as an email from my dissertation tutor:
    Just assume that everyone knows about Nam and concentrate on the main topic

Did I tell you I served in Nam in 1965?

Tottenam that is

:lol:
  • gtvlusso
    Look out for Charley........

He owns the chip shop on the corner.....
  • thrope
    thrope Posts: 69
    gtvlusso wrote:
    thrope wrote:

Ah yes! Good ol process control......I was in remotely, sadly, and was not gonna mess about remapping my keyboard for the session....It was 3am! I am intrinsically lazy!

Oh no - esoteric terminals! It's been a while since I had a session up where ctrl didn't work... but still, you could have opened another terminal and suspended the process with 'kill -STOP $PID' which gives the same effect as doing ctrl-z (so you could then bg and disown -h to nohup)

You shouldn't have given up! WIth *nix there is always a way... :)
  • il_principe
    I appear to have lost the ability to understand written English.