What torque wrench to buy

aircooleddude
aircooleddude Posts: 79
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all, I have a Giant TCR Alliance Zero and have read in the manual recommends a torque wrench for tightening nuts etc. Does anybody know where I can get a cheap one that works, rather than some of the dodgy stuff you see on ebay?! Thanks.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I bought This Sealey torque wrench, good quality, individually calibrated with certificate. It is 2-24Nm so it is good for stems bolts seat post, carbon parts (mostly 6-9nm on my bike). I already had a higher range one for my car, but I only use that on the cassette lock ring (40Nm), and I don't think it is really essential for that. Cost about £34 delivered.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    This one from ebay :wink: works well, it's a BBB torque wrench and comes with a certificate, can be bought from other on-line retailers for £10 quid more.
  • madandybell
    madandybell Posts: 148
    Try Screwfix Direct online, they are selling a quite good one for cheap. Gets some good reviews on the site.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18289/Han ... que-Wrench
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I also have the one that alfablue refers to and it is perfectly adequate. Easy to use and set. The other BBB one that Flasher refers to also looks very good value. (Don't forget with the Sealey one you have got to factor in a set of 3/8" drive hexagon wrenches which are about £10-15. Get the extension ones if you can.)

DO NOT buy the one that madandybell is referring to!! :shock: :shock: The range it works in is FAR too high for bike use!!

(Apologies if that was just a mistake in inserting the correct link :wink::wink: )

Don't be tempted to buy one which you think covers all eventualities on both bike and car either. If the operating range is too wide, then it will be very inaccurate and difficult to adjust at the lower settings - which is where most of the bike torque settings are. Go for one, that at a maximum, covers 2-30 Nm.

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Try Screwfix Direct online, they are selling a quite good one for cheap. Gets some good reviews on the site.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18289/Han ... que-Wrench
    Problem is the range on that one is 28-210Nm, whereas most bicycle component torque settings are in the range below this, hence my recommendation for a 2-24Nm wrench. (crank bolts and bottom brackets the main components that might require the higher range). Unfortunately these lower range wrenches are more expensive.

Park Tools has a listing of common torque values (you have to convert from the rather quaint in-lb), or there is this:

Tightening Torques
    Size

M3. . . . . 1.92 Nm
    M4 . . . . 4.4 Nm
    M5 . . . . 6.65 Nm
    M6 . . . . 15 Nm
    M7 . . . . 25 Nm
    M8 . . . . 36 Nm

most fasteners on the bike will be M4 or M5
  • Thanks so much guys - you've saved me a lot of confusion! The Ebay one it is then...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME the only real problem with bikes is the stem bolts - particularly if you've got carbon bars - particularly to prevent over-tightening. Therefore, all you really need is one of these: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?c ... code=T0019
    [url][/url]
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the help Monty Dog - the link says product no longer available. What was it please?