Help with low back and hip pain

ekbob1
ekbob1 Posts: 7
Help, i have now been off the bike for nearly 18 months, with what started as a bad groin strain, but then turned into severe hip pain, came off bike and have been to 2 physios, and had an op for a hip impingement and labral tear, but the pain is still there, left hand back and hip, muscles feel really tight and have been recently to osteopath who seemed to make some slight progress, tried stretching but nothing seems to work, surgeon ruled out si joint, but not convinced, anybody out there had anything similiar

Comments

• turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i've had a mid-head hip resurfacing op.
    i had pain in that area of my back(same as you) and was a bit worried that my legs wouldn't be the same length ,but 5 months on the only aches i get happen walking up steep hills.i suppose your osteopath would have checked for leg length discrepency as a matter of course.
    the initial problems i had with my hip started whilst running and as such i went to physios,an osteopath and a podiatrist .these pains would "jump" from groin to knee. it was only after spending £600 at the above and having had an x-ray that the NHS physio
    said my hip was shot.
    what exactly has the osteopath done ?
  • ekbob1
    Cheers for the info, I have had 3 MRI scans and only the hip impingement and labral tear showed up. Osteopath felt the SI joint area was very tight and after manipulating, I did get pain relief, but only came back, spoke to surgeon today and he reckons i could try the bike or exercise, but the groin and low back feels very tight.
  • turpinr
    ekbob1 wrote:
    Cheers for the info, I have had 3 MRI scans and only the hip impingement and labral tear showed up. Osteopath felt the SI joint area was very tight and after manipulating, I did get pain relief, but only came back, spoke to surgeon today and he reckons i could try the bike or exercise, but the groin and low back feels very tight.

what is a labral tear? all sounds complicated compared to what i had.
    one physio was treating me for a tight piriformis and whilst under treatment my back was as stiff as a board.when i stopped physio and carried on cycling(mtb & road) my back eased off.in fact cycling worked for my head too because when i had to stop running my head was in bits.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Bloody hell :shock:

I get horrendous problems with my hip / pelvis / lower back and it didn't even occur to me it could lead into anything like that! My GP is hopeless and just prescribes painkillers, the chiropractor sorts it out for a few months but it inevitably comes back.... :cry:

Just out of interest, how did you get your GP's to check for anything else (ie the next stage from just prescribing painkillers)?

Thanks!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ekbob1
    Hi
    I was sent for ultrasound test for bursitis of the hip, (negative) and then sent for MRI which after injecting a dye into the hip, this scan showed up the tear inside the hip and the impingement, which might have been causing the pain, but after op, I still have the same pain. I am now hoping that it could be a illiolumbar ligament strain or very tight hip flexors, I will give anything a try
  • turpinr
    sarah75 wrote:
    Bloody hell :shock:

I get horrendous problems with my hip / pelvis / lower back and it didn't even occur to me it could lead into anything like that! My GP is hopeless and just prescribes painkillers, the chiropractor sorts it out for a few months but it inevitably comes back.... :cry:

Just out of interest, how did you get your GP's to check for anything else (ie the next stage from just prescribing painkillers)?

Thanks!
    tell him you want an x ray to start.i was told/read that true hip pain(needing a new one) starts in your groin but i could feel pain outside my kneetoo.
    i now wear orhotics in all my footwear apart from cycling shoes and they have helped.
  • I have also had key hole surgery for a labral tear and impingement, which didn't do much good. My underlying problem is cartilage damage in the hip, which is very difficult to treat (until we can transplant it). This causes the severe groin pain after running etc.

I'm now doing all i can to strengthen the muscles around the hip joint, in the hope I can stabilize it. Its working pretty well. I can ride the bike and physio (most of which is stability work) enables me to control the position of my hips/back when riding. I would also recommend stretching out the glutes for a 5 minutes each night. This seems to loosen up the whole area.

Good luck with the injury. I know how frustrating it can be.