Advice and opinions please fo rsome new shoes

FyPunK
FyPunK Posts: 160
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Ok you educated lot, may I ask for your advice/opinions please. I am about to progress to cleats (spd) and looking for some new shoes. Budget is not for the best,most expensive as its mainly commuting about 13 miles in winter and 26 in summer (scenic route). I have been looking at some Shimano at the lbs but I have just copped the Leisurelakes cat, which advertise the Specialize shoe at about the same price, looking around £60, I have been on their site and seem pretty impressed with the BG concept. So do any peeps out there wear them? And are they what they are cracked upto be? Thanks in advance.
www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have worn the same Spesh BG road shoe since June 2004 and every day on the commute. Love them. Very comfortable. Will get some more whenever they go.

I've got slightly wider feet than the norm, which mean the likes of Sidi didn't fit as well as the BGs.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've got a pair of £59 Specialized. The MTB version. super comfy. like the nice stiffness. Also bought Shimano MT32's from chain reaction and while they're great for doging around town or to the gym, the Specialized offer much better feel for longer runs and better security and stiffness. They're fine. my first pair. there's a fair bit of mesh on them though so i just recently bought Polaris (wiggle) overshoes. excellent combination for cold or wet days. or team with thin cycle sealskin socks.

easy to clip in and out. if they weren't my first pair though i might have gone straight for the SIDI. Seemed a bit too much at the time though. summer may be I'll treat myself.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    +1 for specialized mtb sport about £59.
    comfy to ride in and not too bad for walking either. On my 2nd pair and I'll get some more when these die!
  • Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    Lidl have just had some SPD compatible shoes in at less than £20. I bought some and they are as comfy as my Specialized Taho's at a fraction of the price. A couple of the lads I ride with also bought some and they are pretty impressed too.
    The Specialized shoes I have are very good, I've used them for a couple of years and they are still in good condition. You can walk in them OK so they're ideal for all round riding.
    If you need some cheap pedals try Merlin they've got some Shimano M520's for £19.95.
    I priced a new set of Shimano cleats the other day at my LBS and they wanted £20 for them so the Merlin pedals are a bit of a no brainer
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    Cheers everyone. I noticed the other week a thread regarding the Lidl ones and was put off. I have the pedals already on the bike, the A520 so I have the best of both worlds, wouldn't feel to confident in the depth of winter on icy roads. it's looking like the Spesh ones then.
    Thanks again.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    I have two pairs of Spesh shoes - one MTB version of the mid range road shoe (they cost about £65) for commuting, which are easier to walk with using SPDs, and a pair of S Works road shoes for the other bike. Both are excellent with adjustable ratchets to get a tight fit - I have wide feet and have no problems.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I have the Shimano M122 shoes. Whilst I can't fault the construction or fit of the shoe you look like a complete prat wearing them (they're blue and silver!). My LBS forced me to buy them! When this pair wears out (just my luck they'll last for ages) I'll get something with a bit more of a neutral colour.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've got 3 pairs of Spesh shoes, 1 mtb and 2 pro road. They are fantastic, comfy, stiff, light and very well made. Not sure I'll ever buy shoes from another manuf.
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    Or get yerself a pair of these if you're feeling especially brave:
    http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=15

No but seriously +1 the Spesh MTB £60 shoes.

Actually, on that point, what do people think about the above shoes?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    RyanB wrote:
    Or get yerself a pair of these if you're feeling especially brave:
    http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=15

No but seriously +1 the Spesh MTB £60 shoes.

Actually, on that point, what do people think about the above shoes?

I think they'd be perfect for the next annual Tweed Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAPgDhlEg6M
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I have the A520 pedals - you need a shoe with recessed SPDs (as opposed to universal fitting road shoes) to get the benefit of support from the platform (you prob. knew that already) -

I've just ordered some Shimano MO85 s from JE James - only £36 ! - they are silver though - still should look better with the road bike than the MT41s I'm using right now (& hopefully a bit stiffer too)
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I have the A520 pedals - you need a shoe with recessed SPDs (as opposed to universal fitting road shoes) to get the benefit of support from the platform (you prob. knew that already) -

I've just ordered some Shimano MO85 s from JE James - only £36 ! - they are silver though - still should look better with the road bike than the MT41s I'm using right now (& hopefully a bit stiffer too)