Carbon Seatpost............

Lochy
Lochy Posts: 70
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
...should i or shouldn't i?? Are there any benefits to be had? There's nothing wrong with my current (cheapy) alloy post, but the ride on my bike is quite harsh and i wonder if there would be any shock absorption qualities to be had.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I couldn't tell any difference between my EC70 carbon post and my Alloy Thomson post...

Unless you have loads of seatpost showing and you use a 27.2mm (ish) post I doubt there's any advantage in getting a carbon post over a decent alloy one like a Thomson.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I found a massive difference when I fitted my Specialized Pave post, much reduced road-vibe and a far more compliant ride, so much so I fitted a Ritchey WCS carbon post and matching risers to my Cannondale hardtail.
    I have to say I'm a big fan of the carbon, but I guess if you have a good enough frame you wouldn't notice the difference as much on a roady.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I couldn't tell any difference between my EC70 carbon post and my Alloy Thomson post...

Unless you have loads of seatpost showing and you use a 27.2mm (ish) post I doubt there's any advantage in getting a carbon post over a decent alloy one like a Thomson.

I used to use an Easton EC90 carbon post and switched to a Thomson because I
    know 3 people whose carbon posts had broken. Made me a bit paranoid. Never heard of
    an alloy post breaking. Can't tell the difference while riding and the Thomson is super easy to set up and adjust. To be honest, a broken seat post is about the last thing I want to worry about.

Dennis Noward
  • Lochy
    Lochy Posts: 70
    Cheers for the replies folks and i must admit that i'd wondered if carbon could snap. To be honest, as well as looking for something slightly more forgiving, i was after a carbon post for the aesthetics. Might have to consider spending the money elsewhere on the bike, like new tyres......(and i've been reading the postings on those, ha! :P )
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I had a Quest aero carbon post on my good bike and without warning it snapped, i only had it 7 months.I had never crashed the bike or dropped it. While out riding one saturday it just snapped clean off. I was about 10Kms from home at the time. After that i decided to go with an alloy seatpin with carbon wrap. I bought the ITM Visia, as i too like the carbon look. Would never trust a carbon post again as have read and heard to many horror stories
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura