Training for multi day events (ToW)

IanPV
IanPV Posts: 123
I've signed up for all three days of the Tour of Wessex in May, and was wondering if anyone had any tips to prepare for the back to back hilly centuries that will be involved.

I've done a few sportives in the past, and have had a good winter (by my standards). Last Saturday, I did the first full 100 mile ride of the year at the sort of pace I'm hoping to be able to ride the ToW at (18mph average, 1800m of climbing). On Sunday, I did a two hour mtb ride and was fine, but was pretty glad it wasn't any further! So, I'm a bit worried about the prospect of 3 centuries back to back... two would be possible (but not at any great pace), but three seems pushing it at present?!

Currently, I'm doing about 10-12 hours a week on the bike and can't really afford much more. I'm pretty sensible about my diet and eating straight after training, I think. This is my current regime:

mon - rest
tues - 2 * 20 turbo session, just below FTP.
weds - 2 hour social mtb nightride, which tends to be fairly 'spirited', or a 2 hour tempo turbo ride - some imagic real life vid or other)
thurs - 5 * 5 intervals on the turbo at about 110%-115% FTP on the trainer (just switched to these, was doing another 2*20 session 'til late feb)
Fri - rest
Sat - long group ride - even done a couple of audax events this year (3-5 hours, generally steady but with efforts on hills)
Sun - either a shorter road ride, or an mtb ride for 2-3 hours.

I'll also be doing a few evening road races this year, a few more sportives (got the North Cornwall Tor and the Forest of Dean spring classic before the ToW) and a couple of mtb enduro events.

Is there anything I can do to improve the specificity of my training? I don't really want to scrap the group rides or the mtb-ing (as this is meant to be fun!) but I could change the way I ride on them...currently I just try to keep up with whoever is riding fastest up the hills :)

Would sticking a long, slow paced commute on my rest days help at all? I don't want to get too tired.
I've got twelve weeks...perhaps I should just change my expectations and admit that I'm going to have to ride (a lot) slower for the event?

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Just a quick one,

I'd have a think of doing an 'epic' 3 day training block very soon.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday as many miles as you can manage. Perhaps try to get two centuries in with the middle day being shorter but try for more intensity.

I'd do it soon so that you are recovered by the time of the event.

I'll be putting in some epic blocks like this once the clocks go back, 4 hrs extended commute home. Ride 3hrs hard with the lads on Sat then try for the century on the Sunday.
  • I think you may surprise your self. You know you have the distance covered.Races and sportives will bring on your speed.Mtb and sat rides be the best up the hills.And most of all enjoy
    I did TOI 08 4days 100+and that is what I got from it. I enjoyed it. Now I going back for 09 5 days 100+
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • IanPV
    IanPV Posts: 123
    I'll just carry on as is then, and stick a few longer 3 day blocks in. Should get easier as the days get longer...

Just have to hope that adrenalin can make up for the lack of class - it should last for the first couple of hours of day one, anyway :D
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Do quite a few multi-day tours including last couple of TOWs and the TOI. Agree with advice above that your routine looks pretty good at the mo but worth doing at least one set of back to back century rides.

Apart from training benefit it may help prepare you mentally. I find one wierd thing about consecutive day tours is that some nights I barely have the energy to climb a set of stairs but strangely feel fine next day once on the bike. You'll probably be the same and its good to know this in advance.
    Martin S. Newbury RC