Advice needed for new wheels and possible cassette

markybhoy67
markybhoy67 Posts: 346
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi there, I have bought a Felt Z35 2008 which has come with MAVIC CXP-22S rims and Vittoria Rubino 700c x 25c, I don't like these tyres so I have put schwalbe marathon plus tyres on instead. I know these slow me down abit but they are good for just getting the miles on the clock but I am looking for something faster for maybe a club run.

Rather than swap tyres on to the wheels, I am looking for a second set of wheels with faster tyres (possibly schwalbe ultremo) but also better wheels and maybe a an upgrade on my 10 speed Cassette, not sure of budget, I can get ultremos for £43 of the bay, can I have some recommendations for wheels. Not looking for the most expensive just something that I will notice an improvement on the mavics.

Sorry for the gibberish post......Smirnoff takes the blame, will edit tomorrow :lol:

Thanks

Comments

• JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite (or Equipe if your budget won`tl get that far) or Fulcrum 3s. Michelin Pro 3s or Conti GP4000s are well thought of as fast tyres with reasonable puncture-proofness.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • markybhoy67
    Thanks for the reply Johnny.

As an after thought I will need hubs as well, any ideas?

As you can tell from my questions I am a complete novice, I just have a few quid burning a hole in my pocket that I wan't to spend before I piss it up against a wall :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If you buy factory wheels (Kysrium Elite or silimar) you won't need to buy hubs
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • markybhoy67
    If you buy factory wheels (Kysrium Elite or silimar) you won't need to buy hubs

Cheers for the reply.

I have been looking at wiggle and the bay for prices, feck wasn't expecting £300+ :?

Will have to have a serious think about this as it's no that hard to swap a tyre over :D

I will never lead a club run so maybe better to spend the cash elsewhere or try and buy second hand.

Thanks
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    How much could you spend on wheels?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • markybhoy67
    Hi Slow Downcp, I don't really have a budget as such, I have some spare money that I could use for the bike but the wife could also spend it if she knew about it :shock: :lol:

I also have more overtime coming up at work so my budget could increase if need be, I just wasn't expecting to pay £300 plus to see an improvement.

Also, I haven't even joined a cycling club yet but I am thinking about joining my local one so just want to see who much I would be shelling out if it got serious.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    If you're on a tight budget, personally (if it was me) I'd get something like:

Shimano R600 Rear: 912g - £ 80

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13394

Shimano WH-5600 Front: 744g - £ 69.99

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27580

Total cost - £149.99 - (1656 grams pair)

Very similar looking wheels - hardly notice that they're from a slightly different range - perform well enough - fine for club runs, Sportives.
  • Mavic Ksyrium Elite (or Equipe if your budget won`tl get that far) or Fulcrum 3s. Michelin Pro 3s or Conti GP4000s are well thought of as fast tyres with reasonable puncture-proofness.

would the elite really make a 'big' difference?

I also run mavic cxp-22 rims, and looking to upgrade these to increase performance.
    (without losing durability)
    but i defenatly wanna notice the difference and don't mind forking out a few pennies for that :roll:
    So i was thinking about buying the mavic ksyrium sl.....

Any thoughts about those??
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    Markybhoy

If your not racing or leading the club runs I'm not sure you'll notice an appreciable difference between a £300+ wheelset or say Fulcrum 5's or Aksiums provided you put decent tyres, such as pro race 3's on . For example the Racing 3's are nearly twice as much for a c100 gramme saving.

I use Aksiums or Mavic Open pro's and it's not the wheels slowing me down on clubruns :wink: