Working on a budget - Genesis core 30 or trek 6300 (2009)

hi all, im on a budget of around £ 700 max. i like the genesis core 30 but price is just above my range though have seen offers under it. my other option is the trek 6300. i have been scearching for ages and i just want to know which is better, not to have any suggestions unless you feel its necessary. i'll post the specs shortly to help (i dont know how everything compares an i hope someone out there does.) please help me, biking god. i really want longer than 100mm travel so thatas why the genesis is there with upto 130mm but i want to know if it is a slightly better bike overall.

thanks, ali.
please, don't try to be smart with me because i know beyond reasonable doubt that you would fail.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where will you be riding it? For XC or harder trails?

Any chance you can test them?
  • bit of both really, sort of a go between - i live near the south and north downs and there are plenty of forest tracks for hard singletrack riding but often ride on fairly good track fair distances. not helpful really i know.

i can test them both out but only around my local dealer which is in town so not the best conditions for a test ride. they dont do anything else.
    please, don't try to be smart with me because i know beyond reasonable doubt that you would fail.
  • supersonic
    At least you will get a feel for the sizing, nad be able to make instant swaps in the shop ie saddle if need be.

Looking at the value and spec front, the Core 30 is the better specced. Much better fork and a few superior parts, but then again it does retail at more.

I would say the Trek was the racier of the two machines, while the Core a little more laid back. You can however change the fork travel with the core with a twist of the dial.
  • hear are the specs...

trek 6300 (09)

Frame - Alpha Black Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube, monostay seatstays, forged disc ready dropouts
    Front Suspension - RockShox Dart 3 w/preload, lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm
    Wheels - Shimano M475 disc hubs; Bontrager Ranger, 32-hole rims w/eyelets
    Tires - Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"; 27 tpi
    Drivetrain;
    Shifters - Shimano Deore, 9 speed
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Crank - shimano M442 Octalink 44/32/22
    Cassette - SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
    Pedals - Alloy platform
    Components ,
    Saddle - Bontrager Race Basic
    Seat Post - Bontrager SSR, 20mm offset
    Handlebars - Bontrager Race Riser, 25mm rise, 650mm width
    Stem - Bontrager SSR, 10 degree, 31.8mm
    Headset - VP-A76C-TK, 1 1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
    Brakeset - Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc; 185mm front rotor, 160mm rear rotor

genesis core 30 (2009)

FRAME - Core-Series ALX9 TB Aluminium, disc-only
    FORK - Rock Shox 318 U-Turn 85-130mm, Motion Control
    REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XT 771
    FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore
    SHIFTERS - Shimano Deore Rapidfire
    SHIFTERS - Shimano Deore Rapidfire
    CHAINSET - Shimano Deore 532 44/32/22
    BOTTOM BRACKET - Shimano Deore OBB
    CHAIN - HG53
    HUBS - Shimano M495 Centre-lock Disc
    FREEWHEEL - Shimano Cassette 11-32 9sp
    RIMS - Alex XD-Lite Disc 32h black
    SPOKES - Stainless Steel black
    TYRES - Continental Mountain King 2.2"
    BRAKES - Shimano Deore 535 disc, 180mm front rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano Deore 535 disc
    HANDLEBAR - Genesis 6061 Lo-rise Oversize
    STEM - Genesis 6061 Oversize
    HEADSET - TH Industries 848
    GRIPS - Vise-Grips diamond file pattern
    SADDLE - Genesis MTN2 Cr-Mo rail
    SEATPOST - 6061 T6 Aluminium 27.2mm
    PEDALS - Shimano PD-M520
    Sizes: 16", 17.5", 19" or 20.5"
  • I can't speak for the Trek, but I've ridden a few Genesis models and none of them have been dissapointing. The alu frame is pretty robust aswell. The Core 30 also has a decent spec for the price. Personally I'd try and stretch for it if possible.
  • supersonic
    That fork is going to make a big difference when the going gets rougher. Better damping, more adjustable £270 on its lonesome this year!
  • Yeah the Recon is a huuuuge jump from the Dart. A massive gap in performance.
  • supersonic
    Seems the spec listed is the 08:

Here is the 09:

FRAME : Core-Series ALX9 TB Aluminium, disc-only
    FORK : Rock Shox Recon 335 U-Turn 85-130mm, Motion Control
    SHIFTERS : Shimano Deore Rapidfire
    REAR DERAILLEUR : Shimano SLX Shadow
    FRONT DERAILLEUR : Shimano Deore
    CHAINSET : Shimano Deore 532 44/32/22
    HUBS : Shimano M495 Centre-lock Disc
    RIMS : Alex XD-Lite Disc 32h black
    TYRES : Continental Mountain King 2.2"
    BRAKES : Shimano M575 disc, 180mm front rotor
    HANDLEBAR : Genesis 2014 Lo-rise 31.8mm
    STEM : Genesis 6061 31.8mm
    SADDLE : Genesis MTN2 Cr-Mo rail
    SEATPOST : 6061 T6 Aluminium 27.2mm, twin bolt micro-adjust, 400mm
    Shimano PD-M520Shimano PD-M520
    COLOR : Matte Black
    SIZES : 16", 17.5", 19", 20.5"

But still, as you say, a much better fork!
  • thanks lads, i'm swayed towards the genesis at the mo. i try to find if any1 will let me take one out on an extended trail/demo day.

i agree the trek seams racier but thats not important, i live up a big hill so lockout is important to me if i go by road (when i don't fancy going though fields) the trek may be better at going up though, (just a hunch - although the genesis has the lighter air fork.)

thanks
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Would go for the genesis anyday, core has won various praises and titles, seems a simple choice. The fork alone is worth the increase in price - go for it.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • supersonic
    They are both coil forks o the two Genesis - Uturn, travel adjust.

Dropping the travel for climbs and then winding out for the downs does add a lot of versatility, plus scope for changing height and angles to your preference.

I'm impressed with the Genesis approach to bikes, throughout the range. You get the impression some brands just throw a set selection of parts on, while Genesis seem to maximise the spec where it counts.
  • oh, my mistake, well. that just makes the genesis look even better then doesn't it?
    the better brakes on the 09 model catch up with the avid jucies on the trek (not a massive deciding factor to me- just as long as i can stop well. if i have less effective brakes, i just pull the lever harder!)

soo tempted....

brill, thanks guys
  • supersonic
    Still need to make sure you like the ride position, so be sure to try a couple out for size. Don't be afraid to ask the staff to change bars/stem and stuff, and maybe swap the pedals to flat ones (as the ones with the Core are SPDs)
  • i just emailed my dealer to arrange a test ride for both bikes on monday (not open on sundays) may also test ride some really nice bikes for the experience! lol, pretend i'm interested in buying and go for a quick ride!

loving the help, guys! i'll remember to ask them to change the pedals in advance.

thanks deeply, Ali (strawberry blonde serial killer)
  • turnercraig
    turnercraig Posts: 537
    I have the Genesis Core 40 2008 model.

Fantastic frame with great geomatry, it has the Rock Shock 351 U turn fork. The bike feels right all the way through the travel settings, I can leave it on about 85mm travel for road/ fireroad climbs, switch it to 115mm for most singletrack and adjust it to the full 130mm for any rocky bits/ drops.

The frame looks great too with funky oval tubing, it is worth noting how light it is aswell.

i can't fault the bike at all, you need to go for the genesis.
  • great, thanks, i test it out on the morro'.

thank you very much for all your help fellas, i'll ride them tomorrow and report back although i think the genesis is the obvious choice now. riding the trek is just sort of a control variable if it were.

cheers.
  • rode both bikes today and it just proves what i thought, the genesis is alot more comfortable and relaxed and there is a huge difference in forks. the trek rode well and was a more racier bike but the shorter fork and stretched riding position made it feel unnatural. i have decide that the Genesis is the bike for me.

a huge thanks to everyone who helped me, i got the desired result in half the time i thought it would take.

many thanks, Ali
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    If the Core 30 is out of your range, what about Core 20 or Core 10 with forks upgrade?

Next or this week I will be buying a Core 10, and considering to get better RS forks, rather than SR ones that are standard (although apparently they are quite good for the price).
  • I'm really tempted by either the core 30 or the altitude 10 myself, I keep coming back to them in my head, but trying some others first, if not will go try those :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • I'm really tempted by either the core 30 or the altitude 10 myself, I keep coming back to them in my head, but trying some others first, if not will go try those :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Good News! My genesis core 30 arrived at my home a few days ago and i have had to get my girlfriend to restrain me to stop me riding it everywhere and anywhere. it is such a nice bike, great fork, sleak and light frame. so so so so so so glad i brought this one - well worth it!!!
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Good News! My genesis core 30 arrived at my home a few days ago and i have had to get my girlfriend to restrain me to stop me riding it everywhere and anywhere. it is such a nice bike, great fork, sleak and light frame. so so so so so so glad i brought this one - well worth it!!!

Nice one, If I had £700+ I would also have gone for it. Actually I could JUST about afford the core 20, but the frame is far too "eye-catchy", so went for core 10 :) should have it in few days!

Post some pics!!!