Killer driver escapes prosecution

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I know its from another mag, but this is so shocking that I HAD to post it here:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/ano ... ml?aff=rss

That inquest sounded like a bl**dy disgrace and a waste of public money. :x

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    This makes me both very sad and very angry.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Motorists escaping prosecution or being charged and not even been given a custodial sentence are a regular thing here in the Netherlands, it makes me so angry.How can anybody be responsible for causing the death of another road user and then be let off with a fine or minimal driving ban. Here is an example.
    A man was cycling home from work with two colleagues after an evening shift at 12.30am. A man driving a car was coming towards them on the other side of the road. The driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit a crash barrier before carreering accross to the opposite side of the road and colliding with the 3 cyclists. One of the cyclists was killed instantly while the other 2 had only minor injuries and shock.The driver did not stop and only after an early morning TV appeal did anybody come forward with information. It turned out the mother of the car driver had called the police saying that she thought her son had something to to with it. The man was arrested and later in court fined for causing death by dangerous driving and failing to stop after an accident. The police heard that the man was returning from an office party, and although the man had consumed alcohol they could not charge him as he was not arrested until several hours after the incident. The man recieved a 9 month suspended sentence and a fine of €6000. the cyclist was a married man with three children.
    When you read this please leave a comment.
    As i said to a colleague when cycling home from work shortly after this accident. a human life in the Netherlands is worth about 2 months salary, if that. :x Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Both stories (downfader and ademort) make me very angry. The judicial system is a joke - a very sick joke.

Ademont - unreal isn't it. Asleep at the wheel doesn't change if you're interviewed hours later. As if the lack of alcohol in the bloodstream makes killing another OK. GRRR really really hacked off :(
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • downfader
    ademort wrote:
    Motorists escaping prosecution or being charged and not even been given a custodial sentence are a regular thing here in the Netherlands, it makes me so angry.How can anybody be responsible for causing the death of another road user and then be let off with a fine or minimal driving ban. Here is an example.
    A man was cycling home from work with two colleagues after an evening shift at 12.30am. A man driving a car was coming towards them on the other side of the road. The driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit a crash barrier before carreering accross to the opposite side of the road and colliding with the 3 cyclists. One of the cyclists was killed instantly while the other 2 had only minor injuries and shock.The driver did not stop and only after an early morning TV appeal did anybody come forward with information. It turned out the mother of the car driver had called the police saying that she thought her son had something to to with it. The man was arrested and later in court fined for causing death by dangerous driving and failing to stop after an accident. The police heard that the man was returning from an office party, and although the man had consumed alcohol they could not charge him as he was not arrested until several hours after the incident. The man recieved a 9 month suspended sentence and a fine of €6000. the cyclist was a married man with three children.
    When you read this please leave a comment.
    As i said to a colleague when cycling home from work shortly after this accident. a human life in the Netherlands is worth about 2 months salary, if that. :x Ademort

I already know of that case. They were lit up like christmas trees too. :( Very sad for such an inspirational nation to have a story like this come from it.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I can't work this out. You're supposed to drive you car (and cycle your cycle) in such a way that you do not strike anybody with it.

Now the first driver clipped the cyclist, not good, but it could happen due to misjudgement. However for the following driver to just run into the downed cyclist is unforgivable in my opinion.
  • downfader
    prj45 wrote:
    I can't work this out. You're supposed to drive you car (and cycle your cycle) in such a way that you do not strike anybody with it.

Now the first driver clipped the cyclist, not good, but it could happen due to misjudgement. However for the following driver to just run into the downed cyclist is unforgivable in my opinion.

Says a lot for tailgaiting doesnt it