Assos discount

2»

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Think good quality armwarmers over your whole torso, but a bit warmer as they have a thin piley inner face. It does me for most winter days under a roubaix winter jacket. On the coldest I go for my Howies merino though. The great thing about these compression tops is they work very well as a baselayer in winter, but are also excellent under a normal short sleeve jersey for spring and autumn riding.

I am getting one of these for my birthday I think, which has alot to recommend it :-)

http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/collections ... _ls_red_09
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    fwiw - I have pretty much most of the Assos range from winter to summer. For the pieces mentioned here, I have the Winter LL tights with S5 pad, and they are fantastic. Yes theyre north of £200 but the design, engineering and fit is second to none,. Previously I had the Gore Oxygen winter bibs, and they dont even come close to the LLs.

I also suffer from cold hands and went for the triple glove system. Whilst they are very comfortable and much thinner than you would imagine 3 gloves to be, they are not very warm, or waterproof. Yes theyre well designed and have good windblock - but theyre not thermal at all.

But having said that Ive yet to find a top notch pair of winter gloves, and again ive tried many from these to Gore countdowns, to Sealskinz, to PI....none of them do the trick for me.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yes gloves seem to be something even Assos cannot perfect. Same problem here btw gloves wise. Good to hear about the Winter LLs being good, have you had the AirProtecs?
  • akkers
    I never went for the Airprotec....since I feel the cold more than many people, I went straight for the LL S5s - theyre more expensive, but the coverage of airblock, fit, and lycra are better imo. Also, above all, I wanted the S5 pad - I have the F1 Mille S5 shorts for summer, and the pad is the best I have ever come across - hence I wanted the same on my winter tights.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    akkers wrote:
    fwiw - I have pretty much most of the Assos range from winter to summer. For the pieces mentioned here, I have the Winter LL tights with S5 pad, and they are fantastic. Yes theyre north of £200 but the design, engineering and fit is second to none,. Previously I had the Gore Oxygen winter bibs, and they dont even come close to the LLs.

I also suffer from cold hands and went for the triple glove system. Whilst they are very comfortable and much thinner than you would imagine 3 gloves to be, they are not very warm, or waterproof. Yes theyre well designed and have good windblock - but theyre not thermal at all.

got my winter ll s5 bibtights today useful windproof bit goes from the hips and curves round to cover the knees and the fit is really aerodynamic & comfortable. after using the gore pro team 3 bibtights for awhile but the chamois didnt have much to it tho paying £70 i shouldnt have expectd much.
    on the gloves i use a pair of burton goretex snowboard mitts, thumbs do get a bit cold but the four fingers are warm. they may not be cycling specific but they do the job nicely.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My girlfriend got Assos Roubaix bib knickers with pad for £100 rather than £140-£160ish from Bikewearhouse. Excellent service and a free energy bar (one up on Wiggle Haribo's).
  • giant_man
    bobpzero wrote:
    akkers wrote:

got my winter ll s5 bibtights today useful windproof bit goes from the hips and curves round to cover the knees and the fit is really aerodynamic & comfortable. after using the gore pro team 3 bibtights for awhile but the chamois didnt have much to it tho paying £70 i shouldnt have expectd much.
    on the gloves i use a pair of burton goretex snowboard mitts, thumbs do get a bit cold but the four fingers are warm. they may not be cycling specific but they do the job nicely.

I'm wondering how the S5 Mille insert compares to the S2 Mille insert found in the AirProtecs. Are they are a larger chamois? Can't see to find any such info on the Assos site.
  • Just had a look on the Parker International site! Air Jack Ltd 150 notes.
  • akkers
    Whatever you do....dont use Parkers!!!!! They are cheap yes, but a) all their gear is very old stock and not as advertised (youll end up with 2006 range or something) and b)service is lousy
  • giant_man
    Got my LTD from Wiggle before xmas, lovely stuff!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    akkers wrote:
    Whatever you do....dont use Parkers!!!!! They are cheap yes, but a) all their gear is very old stock and not as advertised (youll end up with 2006 range or something) and b)service is lousy

Whaaaaat?

Parker International are so far the only internet bike company (along with PBK) to not screw up an order.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with Parker's service.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    robbarker wrote:
    I'm looking for a Assos Powerstatic Plus baselayer in a Large size in either titan (grey) or black. If anyone has one to see (obviously must be nearly new or excellent condition ie. unwanted gift etc.) I will pay top money for.

Older stock now and the dealers, and Yellow Limited themselves, don't have any left.

cheers

as much as I adore Assos I would look at Under Armour baselayers every time.

IME these are hard to beat, although the Under Armour ones are good too.

http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/Base-Laye ... T_Shirt-LS

Warm enough under a decent jacket rob? Are they breatheable too?

Absolutely.

I use the Under Armour ones. Effectively there are three types:

Heatgear : For when it's hot. Wicking and very effective. Also useful as a warming layer on an early summer cold morning.

ColdGear: For when it's cold! Thick, wicking, I wear ONLY that under my LTD Jacket in temps of 2 degrees.

Coldgear Metal : Thick, fleece backed, wicking, with a wind resistatant weave. Stick that on with a LTD jacket and there would be no reason for a Fugu!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    I'm wondering how the S5 Mille insert compares to the S2 Mille insert found in the AirProtecs. Are they are a larger chamois? Can't see to find any such info on the Assos site.[/i]
    3335114722_8c08aa139a.jpg

3334279833_434c314d70.jpg
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Personally I'd never pay £100, £150 or £200 for any piece of cycle clothing Assos or not. I've found Endura fleeced winter leggings to be fine. To date they have been my most costly purchase for any single item of clothing excluding shoes. I have used my pair, which cost £43 after LCC discount last summer, all this winter. Even when it was -8C they have kept my legs warm as toast. They are an excellent fit, nicely breathable, windproof and have reflective strips. Paying £150-200 seems madness when there is just as good cheaper kit available. My shorts are from Decathalon £20 bargain! and boy they are confortable. My gloves are old Trek black fleece jobbies which I got in 1996 when Trek designed things to last. They are so over engineered. Hands are still warm in -8C and don't let your hands overheat when it's 5 or 6C. They cost me £7.99 in 1996 from Evans Waterloo. I wear a Castaletti long sleeve fleeced hi viz jersey I think thats the make although the name has long disappeared from the label as it's again over 10 years old. Still very warm. When cold I wear a Lowe Pro thin fleeced long sleeved jersey over this. And when cold cold I wear my Altura Hi Viz breathable waterproof and windproof jacket (pre Night Vision) on top. I is then warm and insulated from the wind and any rain. Total cost to me about £60 as everything was bought at end of season bike shop sales. Before Xmas I bought an Altura long sleeve base layer jersey which has been excellent for £15.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • giant_man
    bobpzero wrote:
    I'm wondering how the S5 Mille insert compares to the S2 Mille insert found in the AirProtecs. Are they are a larger chamois? Can't see to find any such info on the Assos site.[/i]
    3335114722_8c08aa139a.jpg

3334279833_434c314d70.jpg

Thanks for that bobpzero, definitely larger than the S2 one. cheers.
  • bendertherobot
    dilemna wrote:
    Personally I'd never pay £100, £150 or £200 for any piece of cycle clothing Assos or not. I've found Endura fleeced winter leggings to be fine. To date they have been my most costly purchase for any single item of clothing excluding shoes. I have used my pair, which cost £43 after LCC discount last summer, all this winter. Even when it was -8C they have kept my legs warm as toast. They are an excellent fit, nicely breathable, windproof and have reflective strips. Paying £150-200 seems madness when there is just as good cheaper kit available. My shorts are from Decathalon £20 bargain! and boy they are confortable. My gloves are old Trek black fleece jobbies which I got in 1996 when Trek designed things to last. They are so over engineered. Hands are still warm in -8C and don't let your hands overheat when it's 5 or 6C. They cost me £7.99 in 1996 from Evans Waterloo. I wear a Castaletti long sleeve fleeced hi viz jersey I think thats the make although the name has long disappeared from the label as it's again over 10 years old. Still very warm. When cold I wear a Lowe Pro thin fleeced long sleeved jersey over this. And when cold cold I wear my Altura Hi Viz breathable waterproof and windproof jacket (pre Night Vision) on top. I is then warm and insulated from the wind and any rain. Total cost to me about £60 as everything was bought at end of season bike shop sales. Before Xmas I bought an Altura long sleeve base layer jersey which has been excellent for £15.

I have a £70 Jacket from PBK. Keeps me warm. Good quality.

I have a £170 Airjack from Assos. It will probably look as good as it does now in 10 years time. It is of staggering quality. And I mean that.
  • giant_man
    You pays your money you takes your choice. I haven't found anything that comes close to Assos, and I've tried everything. I love their quality and their fit. Cracking stuff. And well worth their asking price.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Is there a good bricks and mortar shop for Assos in London or South/South East??

I want to buy some stuff in a couple of months and would prefer to buy in a shop then go though the hassle of returning the goods back etc
  • giant_man
    Condor in Grays Inn Road have a great selection which you can peruse to your heart's content. Best way to buy Assos imo, go and try on and make sure they are the right size.

Carl in Condors is brilliant, he knows what fits well and what doesn't.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    dilemna wrote:
    You know you`re really not doing your bit to boost the economy.Shame on you!
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • giant_man
    dilemna wrote:

I bet you haven't even tried Assos. I was of the same opinion before I tried Assos. You pays your money and you makes your choice. Hats off to you, if you can spend so little and buy decent clothing that lasts wash after wash, in all weathers and it doesn't fall apart after a couple of years. But somehow, I doubt this is the case. I doubt that you're getting the quality.
  • akkers
    I bet you haven't even tried Assos. I was of the same opinion before I tried Assos. You pays your money and you makes your choice. Hats off to you, if you can spend so little and buy decent clothing that lasts wash after wash, in all weathers and it doesn't fall apart after a couple of years. But somehow, I doubt this is the case. I doubt that you're getting the quality.

One thing I would say about Assos, is that whilst it is clearly the market leader in terms of quality cycling apparell, it isnt built to last. I have had various issues with zips, fasteners etc - I have found it very difficult at times to manage the delicacy of the stuff. I use the Assos active cleanser too. For example this monring using my Fugu, the inner zip got caught and took me 10 minutes to release from the fleece lined fabric and re-zip - very annoying.

i wouldnt buy any other clothing - but you do have to be careful how you treat it.

I also swear by using their washbags !

[/quote]
  • akkers
    akkers wrote:

One thing I would say about Assos, is that whilst it is clearly the market leader in terms of quality cycling apparell, it isnt built to last. I have had various issues with zips, fasteners etc - I have found it very difficult at times to manage the delicacy of the stuff. I use the Assos active cleanser too. For example this monring using my Fugu, the inner zip got caught and took me 10 minutes to release from the fleece lined fabric and re-zip - very annoying.

i wouldnt buy any other clothing - but you do have to be careful how you treat it.

I also swear by using their washbags !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've tried their shorts - prob less comfier than far cheaper ones, and from what I can see - no more durable than my decathlon longs. Just realised I still wear a Castelli top thats 15 years old or so and in great nick. I may have considered an Assos jacket - but their design is a bit too way out there - so I bought a cheaper Rapha one. Each to their own.
  • akkers
    I have a few Rapha pieces, and the engineering isnt in the same league as Assos. Yes the design is a bit out there, but IMO nothing even comes close - although I had the Castelli Radiation jacket which gave the Airblock 851 from Assos a run for its money.

All said and done its personal preference - when your "into" a brand you generally stick to it. I like Castelli, I like Rapha, I like Gore (I still they are the only ones who make a truly waterproof and breathable jacket) - but to me Assos is in a league of its own.

Yes you might think cheaper shorts are as comfy - but once youve been in the saddle for 4 hours and start to feel tired - thats when you'll know the quality.

People stick to what they like and know - I just think as with most things you get what you pay for, and if you buy cheap, you buy twice from my experience.
  • cougie
    Akkers - 112 miles are fine in my cheaper shorts. Comfort is personal = the Assos feels like I'm wearing a nappy.
  • bendertherobot
    cougie wrote:
    Akkers - 112 miles are fine in my cheaper shorts. Comfort is personal = the Assos feels like I'm wearing a nappy.

How do you know that? :lol:
  • cougie
    Dammit - I've said too much. :oops:
  • giant_man
    cougie wrote:
    Dammit - I've said too much. :oops:

:D:D