SPD or flats with clips?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Old bike at home has need of new pedals. Currently use tatty old flats with clips, as ride in work shoes, but also have SPD cleat compatable shoes (could leave work shoes at work)

Do I get new flats, or some of the SPDs that are compatable with regular shoes (Ribble doing some at around £22)?

Sigh - FYI, other bike in London for second bit of journey has flats with clips also

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Neither. Eggbeaters are what you want.
  • secretsam
    no, the ability to wear regular shoes is what I want

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Now I have seen the "clipping-in" light, I would always prefer the option to if possible - ifyou are talking about flats with SPD thingies in them too, go for those - then you have flexibility
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Pity, limits your choice. Then I guess SPDs are the way.

But I def think clipless is worth it.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    If you get the M424s let me know how you get on!

Dang, if I'd known about being able to get them for £22 I may have had a go.

As it stands I've just got M520s and plan to give them a go next week some time, got some cheapy shoes from LIDL.

This thread may help you: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12608514
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    The pedals on my work bike are looking a bit dodgy. When they go, I'll get some of those Shimano dual mode SPD/flat jobbies.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    IMPORTANT NOOB NOTICE

All new to clipless riders if you use SPD's look for the little tension adjuster x 2 on each pedal, using a small allan key and turn all the way to the minus symbol until it will not turn any more, this will set your pedal clip tension to the looses setting and MIGHT just MIGHT prevent your first "Clipless incident" and say you the pain and embarrassment particularly the pain.

This will also mean your feet will come unclipped a fair amount, i'd suggest tightening by a quarter turn at a time/per ride until they're tight enough not to come undone by accident by loose enough for emergencies :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Or just get eggbeaters, no tension adjustment, 4-sided action, lighter and way prettier.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    biondino wrote:
    Or just get eggbeaters, no tension adjustment, 4-sided action, lighter and way prettier.

Who doesn't love a little 4 sided action :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Went clipless last week and the difference is amazing. It's the way to go.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • secretsam
    biondino wrote:

SHOES, NORMAL COMMON OR GARDEN SHOES

honestly

Mind you, they do look nice....mmmmm....nononononono behind me satan

• secretsam
    sarajoy wrote:
    If you get the M424s let me know how you get on!

Dang, if I'd known about being able to get them for £22 I may have had a go.

As it stands I've just got M520s and plan to give them a go next week some time, got some cheapy shoes from LIDL.

This thread may help you: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12608514

Am going to give these a go, I know I'm cheap but includes cleats and it's an old bike...(apart from the new wheels, tyres, rear mech, chainset, BB, brakes and now pedals...hmmmmm)

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    SecretSam wrote:
    biondino wrote:

SHOES, NORMAL COMMON OR GARDEN SHOES

honestly

Mind you, they do look nice....mmmmm....nononononono behind me satan
    Mallets then.