Another "Which road bike?" thread

herraotic
herraotic Posts: 4
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Good evening.

I'm new to road cycling and wish to know which bikes you would recommend for around £600, exclusive of accessories and clothing. You can also consider all brands as I can access many shops. Thanks.

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    You might find some good ideas on here.
  • herraotic wrote:
    Good evening.

I'm new to road cycling and wish to know which bikes you would recommend for around £600, exclusive of accessories and clothing. You can also consider all brands as I can access many shops. Thanks.

Give us a clue,What do you like the look of???? You must have some sort of Idea what brand you fancy?

600 smacka -roos is alot of cash rite about now my cocker
  • To be honest - I have no idea!

Well, I know of the big marques: Trek, Specialized and Giant. If someone could tell me some up-to-date information on which models of any company are decent at this price point; I would be very grateful.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    herraotic wrote:
    Good evening.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and had the same budget.

I went to Evans Cycles who were very helpful and they recommended the following bikes from my price range:

* Speciallized Allez 18 2009
    * Trek 1.2

I tried them both and found that the Allez was a better feel for me, and so far its been excellent!! If you have not already I would deff recommend clipless pedals too as they make a massive difference to the performance.

I would suggest that you go to your local bike shop (Evans cycles were great for me) and speak with them, tell them what your after and give them your budget etc, but I would deff recommend you test ride the Allez!!

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Just bought a Cube Aerial for £645. Never had another road bike so can't compare, but it feels good and it looks very good IMO! Decent kit aswell - Tiagra groupset, but sora brakes.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    +1 for the Allez.

I also upgraded to clipless pedals and it makes for a much better ride. You'll probably want to upgrade the tyres too. But these things will be true of any bike in this price range.

I absolutely love the Allez and it's speed still scares me. You'd have to be a pretty serious cyclist to notice any improvement in a bike costing £1000 more.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    To be perfectly honest, like in love, your 1st will always be the stand off point, just gotta find better :twisted:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Planet X SL - clubman edition if possible. Nice light frame. If you need mudgurds then a Ribble Winter Trainer with 105 groupset. Sorted.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.