Help!! Which bike Giant TCR Advanced 1 or Cube agree GTC

pug36
pug36 Posts: 2
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Can anyone knowledgable cyclist advise on this please?
I've narrowed my bike search down to 2 after much research and came up with:
1. Giant TCR Advanced 1 : Shimano 105 , full carbon frame : £1600
2. Cube agree GTC pro at £1300 and race at £1600. Both of which have Ultegra.

I have demo-ed the Giant and it rides like a dream , however the Cube gets great reviews and the spec is better. With Giant I am paying a premium to have the name? and sacrificing the opportunity to upgrade the gearset etc to Ultegra?

I rode a Cube agree aluminum in Majorca and liked it, felt real smoooth but that could have been down to those heavenly roads over there.

Any thoughts very welcome

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Personally I'd get the Cube Agree with Chorus......I've actually been eyeing it up for a while.

I wouldn't spend over a grand to end up with a bike with Shimano.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I've done about 2000miles on my Giant TCR advanced 3 (I'm guessing you mean the 3, not the 1) although unfortunately it got written it off a week ago :( . I'll definitely be getting another advanced on the insurance. Its an incredible frame, even in XL. I know its really tempting to go for the bikes with high spec components, but I think you're getting a pretty good deal with the giant, and a much more upgradable machine. Last years frame was selling for £2000, and this year they've improved the frame and dropped the price to £1300. The weak area of the bike is the wheels. They're not the lightest and I can get a bit of flex out of them. But, I've only ever heard them hit the brake blocks when I was really really going for it on one occasion, and I'm 6'4" and 75kgs so that obviously has an impact. On the upside they're really tough and I haven't had any reliability issues. Personally I wouldn't regard the ultegra/105 difference as that key in choosing a bike. You're not gaining that much technology, or losing much weight by choosing ultegra.

Oh, and personally I think the black and white frame looks amazing!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Get the one that fits and feels the best....

Dont' get sucked into the Campag vs Shimano debate, it's a load of b*ll*cks, both do the same job when setup correctly.....