Leg cramps

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited March 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hi I'm not the fittest of riders and I know this might be a partial cause of the problem but every time I go out riding I get tremendous cramps in my quads (vastus medialis I think the area is called) and also in my hip flexors.
I've been told to take on more fluids, but I drink at least 3 litres of water a day and generally empty a 3litre camelback bladder over a 15 mile ride.

Is there anything I could do to reduce my chances of getting these cramps? Could it be down to position on the bike at all?

Thanks

Owen.

Comments

• turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    drinking more water won't help.it sounds like you need to stretch post-ride and to stetch more in general.you can get lots of useful stretches out of mtb mags or online.
  • OwenB
    Sorry I should have mentioned as well, I stretch off before, during and after rides.
    Though I'll admit I'm not the most flexible person in the world.

Will look to see if there are any different stretches I can use that might help me more though, thanks
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i'm not that flexible either and used to ignore stretching.
    some stretches work that well you can tell straight away they've done you good.
    last week my right knee was sore under the joint and i was panicking because i had my left hip replaced last october.after stretching my quads and hip flexors all was well.

of course your riding position could need improving too, as you say.if your legs aren't straighteing out far enough then your knees will suffer and consequently your flexors.
    good luck anyway
  • OwenB
    Cheers, I'm pretty sure I had my positioning sorted but I'm getting a new bike tomorrow so no doubt I'll have to start from scratch.
  • jon8672
    jon8672 Posts: 4
    I had this same problem of cramp in my calves could only ride about 10 mile with out problems and while out with a friend he said i looked like my seat was to high so i lowered it by 3/4 of an inch a hay presto no more cramps and did an 80 mile ride from telford to mid wales a few days later with no problems.The problem occured on a bike i had owned for 12 months and had changed nothing to cause the cramps so i must be shrinking i also tried the water thing and extra salt which i never have and it turned out to be my seat to high
    good luck it very frustrating to try and fix
    jon
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I keep getting leg cramps, just above the knee and in the thigh. Only occurs after I've been riding on the road for an hour or so. I take part in MTB endurance races, where I'm racing on and off for 24 or 12 hours (as part of a team) and don't seem to suffer during these events, again, I would be riding for about an hour each lap.

I drink loads of water/energy drinks. This is the 2nd road bike I get this on. The first one, I rode to and from work for the best part of 5 years without changing the postion (30 mins each way). I only got cramp when riding for longer distances.

Same with the new bike (Focus Mares). I've set up the position as comfortable as possible, but still get the cramps.

Any ideas/suggestions?