Recovering from illness

robrauy
robrauy Posts: 252
I have been feeling pretty rubbish for about 3 weeks now. My GP seems to think that I have had a virus and am in the process of recovering from it.

As a result of this I seem to have one good training session in me per week. After that, and in combination with my daily commute I get very tired towards the end of the week.

This is obviously very frustrating as I really want to get out and do some miles :cry:

It's very hard knowing what the best routine is for a quick recovery. Should I be doing one hard training session or more light ones per week ?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Rob

Comments

• If you've got a virus, don't train at all. That is the best way to recover - it will allow you body to concentrate on kicking out the virus, rather than recovering from being ill. Enjoy the rest, and I'm sure you'll come back feeling fresh.
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • If you've got a virus, don't train at all. That is the best way to recover - it will allow your body to concentrate on kicking out the virus, rather than recovering from being ill. Enjoy the rest, and I'm sure you'll come back feeling fresh.
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • robrauy
    Thanks for the advice - I'm sure you're right. It's very frustrating because I was making good progress until recently. It's hard not to put on weight when you stop as well..

Rob
  • nmarchini
    nmarchini Posts: 109
    i'd second that advice, stay off the bike and rest, you'll only stay ill for longer if you try to train before you body can cope with it and you immune system is back to full strength. When you're feeling better add on at least 4-5 days and then start training again, take it easy at first to see if your body has fully recovered. If you start to feel ill again then stop, you started again too soon.

Hope you get well soon and back on the bike.
    Bikes - '97 GT Psyclone, '94 Kona Condercone, '05 Rock Lobster Team TIG SL.
  • robrauy
    Thanks for that. Still commuting on the bike, but spinning at a low speed. Feels wierd being overtaken by so many!

Rob
  • KKspeeder
    KKspeeder Posts: 111
    You could have infectious mononucleosis.......

I had the stomach flu last week (Norwalk Virus). It only takes a couple of days to get over from what you perceive on the couch. But back on the bike this week I noticed I was a little weak and lacked energy for the first days back!.

And....... stay hydrated and eat properly with a multi-vitamin thrown in. And drink LOTS of orange juice. Its not any more dangerous than EPO. Dr. Ferrari (Lance Amrstrong's REAL trainer) has said so bro!
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    i know a lot of folk have probably said this to you, and used to get sick of my (very wise) Mum telling me....listen to your body. If you feel cr*p, don't train...honestly, you'll only make yourself worse (oh my god, i'm beginning to sound like my Mum now!!) 3 years ago, i came back from a camping/walking holiday in canada, and started feeling ill, lots of tests, lymes disease etc and was beginning to think that my Dr was actually a vampire (don't think he is...but still not convinced....) and continued training - cycling, mountain walking, gym...still getting diagnosed as a virus again and again, no energy or anything...to the point where i couldn't do anything for about a year, getting lardy and missing the exercise buzz...however, after taking better care of mesen, eating me greens, listening to my body, starting gentle exercise again (walking, gym etc), i've got my usual bounce back and feeling loads more energetic. So, tek care, it's frustrating losing some fitness, but if you've got a good base level and keep ticking over and stay positive, that's a very good start..hope you start to feel better soon and get your boing back! x
    i like bike
  • robrauy
    Good advice I know...Thanks mum :wink: