Etape or Yukon?

windypants
windypants Posts: 71
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
My head is telling me to keep my Tk winter bike! But my heart is wanting titanium. :?

Comments

• I've had both....Enigma Etape all day long!

The best Ti bike I've had, and I've had a few (Carpe diem, Zep, valk, yukon etc)

The Etape is a very versatile bike, very comfy, and also light when stripped for sportive mode.

Try and get a test ride (if your in the north west you can have a ride of mine)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I have a Yukon and am very happy with it. It gets used for just about all my road riding, including sportives, audaxes, long tours (150-200 miles per day), training and club runs. I can keep up with the guys on £5k carbon roadsters so it is capable of speed!

Looking at the current prices, I can't really see how the Etape can be worth £1k more than I paid for the Yukon last year - then again I haven't tried it. All I would say is the Yukon is a fine bike at a very reasonable price for ti.

EDIT: Actually, I've just checked the current price of the Yukon and it's gone up a massive 30% since I bought last year ( :!: ), so the price difference is now only a coupe of hundred quid.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I went through a similar thing last October (luckily before the recent price hikes) wanting a Ti winter bike to replace a Bianchi Via Nirone. Looked at VN, Enigma, Sunday (now Sabbath), among others - plumped for the Etape - no regrets despite the extra cost, superb bike. Give Jim Walker a ring, or speak to Mark Reilly if Jim's not available (yes, people hds issues with Mark at Omega, but let bygones be bygones).

They will always have time for advice, help, etc - I was ringing the week before the Earls Court show and despite them being rushed off their feet (only a handful of employees), they always returned my calls.

I'd have no hesitation using this bike all year round, for all disciplines, if I had to limit myself to one bike.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    toontra wrote:
    I have a Yukon and am very happy with it. It gets used for just about all my road riding, including sportives, audaxes, long tours (150-200 miles per day), training and club runs. I can keep up with the guys on £5k carbon roadsters so it is capable of speed!

Looking at the current prices, I can't really see how the Etape can be worth £1k more than I paid for the Yukon last year - then again I haven't tried it. All I would say is the Yukon is a fine bike at a very reasonable price for ti.

EDIT: Actually, I've just checked the current price of the Yukon and it's gone up a massive 30% since I bought last year ( :!: ), so the price difference is now only a coupe of hundred quid.

Probably cos it's a better bike! :lol:
  • Does the Etape use long-drop brakes?
  • Slow Downcp
    windypants wrote:
    Does the Etape use long-drop brakes?

No - I've got standard Campag Centaur callipers on mine.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Is it bit of a squeeze for the mudguards?
  • Slow Downcp
    windypants wrote:
    Is it bit of a squeeze for the mudguards?

Not really - I've got Conti GP4000s tyres (23c)and SKS Chromplatci narrow guards - plenty of clearance.