Clicking joints..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Are they anything to really worry about?

My knees click loud and proud 24/7, mainly my right knee, but I have problems with that anyways due to a rugby injury :( (i've been told a knee replacement in my mid-late 30's is probable).

But i've started to worry about my wrist. Its always clicked slightly, and tended to become uncomfortable until I clicked it. I broke the wrist (again playing rugby) and its done it since then,
There is no pain, but the slight click has recently turned into a bit of a "crunch". doesn't hurt like, but its kinda on my mind.
Might start taking some cod liver oil to help get my joints a bit more supple, but is there anything I can do to stop my joints sounding like their about to shatter? :lol:

B

Comments

• myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    I wish I knew of one! Sadly you are discovering what it is like to grow old :cry: these creaks and groans will just get worse - I'm speaking from experience! At 48 when I stand up people look round to see if someone's walked into the room because of the creaking door sound :lol: If only we could replace and upgrade the worn out bits as easily as on bikes! That said it's never held me back.

Serioulsy though, if you do think there is an injury other than wear and tear, you should see a physio.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • I'm only 22 :cry::lol:

Anyone tried one of those copper/magnet bracelets? I'm quite tempted... for a tenner its not like its gonna break the bank.

Physio is an option.. but it means going back home :(
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I have been clicky since I was 12 (I think it was from lots of karate training)!
    Knuckles, wrists, ankles, toes, knees and even my back and neck.

I still haven't fallen to bits aged 33.

Yet.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i used to feel my hip clicking when i did crunches/sit-ups and had to stop running at 46.
    no more clicking now i've had my hip replaced and cycling(mtb or road) is the best thing for creaks and groans.
  • aye, i've been told that staying on the bike should help keep my knees supple.. not sure about the wrist tho :(
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    My joints click and crack all the time. For me though (and almost certainly not for you, so don't worry about this) the sound is the joints popping out and back in.I dislocate my wrist on a daily basis and generally dislocate one of my knees at least once a week. Was walking around today with a shoulder dislocated for 10 minutes before I realised. Great fun.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    That's because you're bloody odd, Chris.
  • Bloody hell thats gross!!:lol:

Def nothing like that.
    knees are hurting today after a bit of a ride yesterday... think its the SS. Gonna have to work on my leg strength again :(
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    My knees click all the time and i've been told by my GP it's the bones grinding under my knee-cap :shock: Apparently it's ok as long as they don't hurt (which they don't usually) - typically, the next day gardening was in agony because of my knee.... :?

I'm 'only' 34 but i've accepted that It's just getting old :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • But i'm not allowed to get old yet!!!
    It sucks knowing that the damage to my knee was already done when I was 18 :(

Rugby+ knee crunch = reduced cartlidge :(
    I've had 2 sessions of keyhole surgery to try and fix it..was going ok until I played a bit of football and some git stood on the same knee. He was wearing those "blade" style studded boots and it sliced the skin over my knee right down to the bone and did more damage to the cartlidge due to the pressure :(

Just gotta stay active IMO, just sucks that I weigh 16st. I can't really loose much either as the majority is muscle :(