Bikeradar sportive Donnington Park

Justdoit
Justdoit Posts: 4
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi I am new to the forum and new to the cycling thing. I have just bought a bike, Trek 1.5 and all the kit to go along with it. The intention is to get fit, give up cigarettes and loose some weight. No news there.......

I am 6ft 6 and weight 18 stone the aim is to loose 2-3stone and get fit for the Donnington 60mile sportive at the end of May. I have had the bike for 1 month now and have increased my milage from a paltry 5 to 20 miles without to my bother.

I would be keen to know if anyone on the forum is at the same place and what there are doing to increase endurance and strength. Also keen to meet up with riders in the Market Drayton area of Shropshire to get some social rides going. I don't think I am anywhere near fit enough to ride with the local clubs just yet.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hello and welcome,

To get you started, you might find our Sportive training article helpful.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    where abouts in Market Drayton are you? I am near the Red Lion!

Cycling to work (chester) first thing if you fancy an early morning spin!
  • Matthew

I am in Hodnet. Would be great to meet for a ride. Are you saying that you cycle from Drayton to Chester every day to work? That is a hell of a ride.

Clinton
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    It is something I want to get into doing on a weekly basis. Did it today with some old knackered lights this morning & happy days my new lights turned up at work today!

PM me your mobile and I will give you a call to meet for a social ride.

Thanks

Matthew
  • I entered the sportive with the intention of losing weight and getting fitter. Im doing about 5 miles a night (not every night) and 20 at the weekend and it seems to be working - slowly.