Full suss...for noob

li
li Posts: 25
edited March 2009 in MTB buying advice
Evening all

Currently own a 2006 rockhopper and i'm finding with my skills and the bikes capabilities when i go dh i keep falling off!! :o
Been going out with a few buddies lately and they are a little more adventurous than i'm used to.We do xc and some downhill.
Looking to buy a full sus...with more travel on the front forks etc.(i have approx £1500 too spend)
I've narrowed my search down to the following:

Kona Dawg (seen a 08 for good money)
Cannondale prophet 1
Spec stumpjumper comp
Orange five (maybe s/h)

If i'm missing any please let me know.

Thanks all

Comments

• you could mabey consider the Specialized Pitch Pro

but if you had to choose one of those i would choose the Orange 5
  • I do like the Orange 5 but getting a good used bike is often easier said than done. If you do come across one snap it up.

If you are after value for money on a new bike in the class your looking at have a look at the Giant Trance X. Great bike and great price.

But if you can stretch a little further I would probably go for the Lapierre Zesty.
  • li
    Thanks all

I like the look of both the Lapierre and Meta (more choice!)
    Or they any dealers for the two in Lanc's so i can try?
    Of the recommendations which are the lightest?

Thanks again
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Merlin for the Meta.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/

Not sure on lapierre
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    You should consider the Scott Genius MC 30 2008 for only £1200.
    Light enough. And £300 save for other bits and peaces.
    http://www.kudubikes.co.uk/shop/98/99/ at the bottom.
  • li
    Thanks for all replies

Went to look at the com 55.2 today (no 3 in stock) looked very good.
    The 08 dawg is looking the best atm,but ,after reading reviews etc i don't understand?
    Some people totally love them and then some people hate them?
    Is it a Kona thing or am i missing something?
    The dawg won the gold award last year.

LBS had a 07 meta 4.2 in which also looked good @ £1200

HMMM..
  • I went through the same tricky choice. In the end I went for the Meta 5.5 as I was able to get a demo on it and found it to be awesome. I was worried about how well it was going to climb (coming from a short travel hardtail) but I needn't have worried. I can't vouch for the other bikes, but whichever spec you go for, a Meta 5.5 won't dissapoint!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Merlin are doing some cracking deals on Commencals at the moment. The Commencal 5.5 in black looks fantastic.

I wouldnt worry about all the people being down on Kona they make good bikes but they sometimes arent as flashy as other makes. The Dawg has been around for years in different versions and has always been one of the top trail bikes around.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Commencal gets good reviews. However the 2008 Dawg is top value for the money at £975 so I'm getting one of those! You can get the Dawg Deluxe (better Spec) for £1,375 at Keswick Mountain Bikes (check their website for both bikes).
    Dream as if you'll live forever..........live as if you'll die today!
  • philm
    philm Posts: 27
    Li wrote:
    Thanks for all replies

Went to look at the com 55.2 today (no 3 in stock) looked very good.
    The 08 dawg is looking the best atm,but ,after reading reviews etc i don't understand?
    Some people totally love them and then some people hate them?
    Is it a Kona thing or am i missing something?
    The dawg won the gold award last year.

LBS had a 07 meta 4.2 in which also looked good @ £1200

HMMM..

Dawg seems good, my friend has one, I went for the more XC kikapu, but it is a similar spec. I really like it. I would say that Kona bikes seem to get discounted a lot so they are not great value at RRP. My £1500 07 King Kikakpu was about 800 quid, at that price I was very happy with it.

Phil
  • li
    Many thanks for all the answers..

Gonna take a ride over to Merlins on Thursday.I do really like the look of the 5.5.3, especially with the discount.
    Would there be a huge difference between the 3 and 2?

Thanks again
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Li wrote:
    Many thanks for all the answers..

Gonna take a ride over to Merlins on Thursday.I do really like the look of the 5.5.3, especially with the discount.
    Would there be a huge difference between the 3 and 2?

Thanks again

Not a lot of difference the 5.5.2 is the higher specification and will probably come out slightly lighter but there wont be much in it.

The frame is exactly the same and the kit on both models is good quality not the highest quality but all good tough stuff. My personal prefference would be for the 5.5.3 but thats just because I like black bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap