Brooks Saddles

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Got some birthday money and wanted to get something worthwhile.

Ordered a copper Brooks B17 and a brooks Pro for my cannondale bad boy.

anyone else ride with a brooks?
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did but sold it, on here - that was a B17. It was ok but not right for me, a bit too wide and if truth be told it looked wrong on a nice road bike so I swapped it out for a nice slim Italian number that does the job superbly - i.e. I don't realise I'm sitting on it.
  • anweledig
    anweledig Posts: 21
    I have a brooks on my hybrid. It's done a bit over 2000 miles so far and mybackside has broken to it nicely :) I'd probably have given up riding without it. I am planning to get a new bike this weekend but will get a brooks as an essential upgrade (although I'm not looking forward to the first few hundred miles as it breaks in)
    exercise.png
  • thanks, thats great.

i have a fizik saddle on there at the mo. the brooks saddles come today. It's ok for a while, but its never going to get better than just ok is it. i like the idea of a saddle that moulds a bit.

i had to choose the widest specialized sonomo for my stumpjumper. bought 3/4 saddles before that one was ok for me.

I've got a nice white specialized alias 143 thats a few months old that will be going on fleabay... anyone?
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • marcba
    marcba Posts: 84
    I have Brooks saddles (B17) on my road bikes (both equipped with fenders), but not on my commuters (of course, after test)
    I find this model very comfortable when wearing a padded cycle lycra, but quite unpleasant with trousers, specially jeans which have bigger seams between legs: saddle shape is good for me, but lether is too hard to be compliant with pants seams; mayby I should try new released Imperial model.

Another bad point for commuting may be leather rain sensibility when either you ride without fenders, or your bike is parked open air.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I have a B17 myself, very good, I get used to get pain after about 3 hours on the previous saddle I had, whereas I've done a few 100 mile plus rides with the Brooks and not such a problem.

If only the prices weren't extortionate!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    marcba wrote:
    Another bad point for commuting may be leather rain sensibility when either you ride without fenders, or your bike is parked open air.
    A good reason to try a Selle An-Atomica, better than brooks, no break-in period, unique design, available in "Watershed" waterproof leather - the last word in saddles IMHO.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Also good to know is that most black Brooks saddles will stain your non-black trousers. Not good when stopping to pickup some groceries.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I have a Professional on the geared commuting bike and we have done thousands of miles over the last 15 years on a couple of different bikes. I've just bought a Team Pro for the fixie but am being a big girls blouse about fittting it and wearing it in!
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed