Programme on the internet to show amount of climbing done?

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all

Is there such a thing as a programme which, when you enter your route into it, it will calculate how much climbing you have done in a ride?

Thanks

Comments

• ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Bikehike can also show you this .... it's what I use for working out my routes etc.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    and bikeroutetoaster.com
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    I tried Bikely but couldn't find the info. Will have another go.

Thank you all.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    to use one of mine.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/ol ... shake-down

click show and the show elevation, shows about 2000ft give or take.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    www.bikehike.co.uk

is very nice as it is free of advertising and it shows both OS and Google Maps simultaneously
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have used Bikehike but it is not very acurate for height gained or mileage. My Dallowgill circuit is, according to my Polar CS400, 40.1 miles and 3080 ft climb. Bikehike gives me 38.6 miles and 2355 feet. I guess it misses all the little lumps out. A good hard ride though.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4608
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    All of the above are limited by the accuracy of google maps, I think the altitude data is most susceptible to inaccuracies.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Never knew about bikehike.co.uk. Seems like a good site. Just plugged in my circuit I done at the weekend and I knew the distance I done and it came out spot on so there doesn't seem to be any probs for me as regards the accuracy of the distance measurements indeed any of the mapping progs using google maps I have found to be very accurate in this respect.

Altitude is something I have always found to be inaccurate however I'm not entirely convinced my CS600 is accurately recording altitude either but I definitely think it is much better than these google maps based progs.

There used to be a couple of mapping progs based on Microsoft Virtual Earth however I can't find these any more to see if they were any better at doing altitude. Might do a search later if I get a chance.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    alfablue wrote:
    All of the above are limited by the accuracy of google maps, I think the altitude data is most susceptible to inaccuracies.

oh lord yes think of it more of a rule of thumb rather than the gospel as you where.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I just re-plotted mine using the Google map with road following. It is harder to see where you are but the mileage is better and the climb was a lot closer at 2828ft.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4619
  • doyler78
    Yeah you have to use follow the road if you want any sort of accuracy on distance. Just look at some of the route plots on the CTC website where they just draw straight lines between 2 places - absolutely useless. I'm sure anybody can manage to draw a straight line between 2 places so a pointless exercise in my estimation.

Just checked mine now that I'm at home and have my CS600 data in front of me and like yourself John.T I've found that bike hike is actually pretty good for elevation calculations. Mine was 100ft out which isn't a lot.

I like this site. I think I'll start using this more and as I have other routes on other sites I like the fact that I can download the data and then reupload it on to the other sites.
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    After reading this I thought I'd put my rides into bikehike. I hate the way these things make me feel like a complete idiot :x I don't have gps so have to put routes in manually. The first one was A to B and back again, so I just did it one way, simple. But how the hell do you put a circular route in, starting and finishing at your house- as I guess most routes do :) :?:
    You have to put the start and finish markers in first, so how can you drag edit after that? If I put markers in, it doesn't adjust the route (blue line). I've read the help info on drag editing, but it doesn't make sense for circular routes. Help please, I'm stressed and it was only meant to be for fun.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • doyler78
    pbracing wrote:
    After reading this I thought I'd put my rides into bikehike. I hate the way these things make me feel like a complete idiot :x I don't have gps so have to put routes in manually. The first one was A to B and back again, so I just did it one way, simple. But how the hell do you put a circular route in, starting and finishing at your house- as I guess most routes do :) :?:
    You have to put the start and finish markers in first, so how can you drag edit after that? If I put markers in, it doesn't adjust the route (blue line). I've read the help info on drag editing, but it doesn't make sense for circular routes. Help please, I'm stressed and it was only meant to be for fun.

You don't have to put start and finish markers in to start an to be honest I don't even know how you do that in bikehike. You just click you start point and then continue to click points on the road along the route until you get to the finish point, whether that be some point miles from where you started or is in the same place as you started.

As for the A to B route and return back to home again. Yes that is a missing feature on this site (so far as I can see from my extensive use of the site ie yesterday and today) - out and back is the general name used to describe such a feature however it does allow you to reverse the route so you can see the profile for outward journey and then if you hit the reverse button it will show the profile for the return leg. Would be nice to see altogether however that will probably come later.

Google maps on the other hand acts in the way you have described where you must specify and start and finish point and then dynamically reroute to get a circular course and frankly its a pain and with no elevation either I rarely use it.
  • pbracing
    Thanks for that Doyler. Got it now. in o/s map just click along route and end marker follows. Hooray :D
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days

• doyler78
    pbracing wrote:
    Thanks for that Doyler. Got it now. in o/s map just click along route and end marker follows. Hooray :D

Oh yeah get you now. Yeah it is an end marker when you click each new point. That just didn't register with me. I just kept clicking along the route and the end was when I decided. Just shows me how I can see what I want to see and not necessarily what is there :lol:
  • pbracing
    Oh yeah get you now. Yeah it is an end marker when you click each new point. That just didn't register with me. I just kept clicking along the route and the end was when I decided. Just shows me how I can see what I want to see and not necessarily what is there :lol:[/quote]

I was thinking the same for me. It's easy when you know how. I just kept beligerently putting the end at the end, with the same results. Ha. Cheers, all the stress has gooone 8)
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days