Supplying a new bike without reflectors/bell?

Carlos13
Carlos13 Posts: 152
Recently took delivery of a new bike for my daughter. It's great, but it was delivered without front/rear reflectors or a bell. The supplier tells me that these aren't a legal requirement, even at point of sale (contrary to what I thought, but I may have been mistaken). Even so, I thought all bikes automatically came with these basic safety devices.

I am a little cross about it, viewing it as compromising safety for the sake of a pound or two. Am I overreacting?
08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
On One Scandal single speed
08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
Felt CA1
70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
Various other junk

Comments

• dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Yes they should - see link below.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/guidanceaboutthesupplyandsal4557
    Under BS 6102, the following reflectors are required to be fitted: White front reflector (unless a front light is fitted), red rear reflector, pedal reflectors and side or spoke reflectors.
    Bicycles supplied in kit form for self-assembly will need to be able to meet the latest British Standard, or an equivalent standard, when fully assembled. They will also need to be supplied with:

instructions for correct assembly and subsequent adjustment of any parts supplied unassembled
    a list of readily available standard tools required for assembly
    any special tools required for assembling the parts correctly, and
    a bell.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Carlos13
    That link confirms the supplier's assertion that there is no legal requirement on children's bikes...

Even so, it surprises me that such things should be missing. How many others have bought bikes without reflectors/bell?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anywhere i've worked it was te rule's to make sure all bikes left with a full set of reflecters but not allways a bell that would only be there if supplied from supplier
  • Carlos13 wrote:
    Recently took delivery of a new bike for my daughter. It's great, but it was delivered without front/rear reflectors or a bell. The supplier tells me that these aren't a legal requirement, even at point of sale (contrary to what I thought, but I may have been mistaken). Even so, I thought all bikes automatically came with these basic safety devices.
    What kind of unscrupulous, cheapskate bike supplier would do such a thing?
  • if they shirked on bike reflectors then it makes me wonder what else they shirked on :(
  • if they shirked on bike reflectors then it makes me wonder what else they shirked on :(

Indeed. I wonder if they bothered with brake pads.
  • Carlos13
    The bike is excellent, other than the lack of bell/reflectors.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Carlos13 wrote:
    The bike is excellent, other than the lack of bell/reflectors.
    You won't be saying that when the wheel bearings collapse the first time it drops off a curb.
  • Carlos13
    Bringing the thread back on topic, it's about people's views on whether kids bikes should be supplied with reflectors/bell or not...
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • bell maybe, reflectors yes. safety is the most important issue for me when it comes to cycling and especially when my daughter is riding.
  • Carlos13 wrote:
    Bringing the thread back on topic, it's about people's views on whether kids bikes should be supplied with reflectors/bell or not...
    I thought it was about whether or not your being "a little cross" was an overreaction.

I think it's an underreaction. You should be absolutely livid.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Carlos13 wrote:
    What kind of unscrupulous, cheapskate bike supplier would do such a thing?

Not cheap at all http://www.islabikes.co.uk/
  • sellisnba
    sellisnba Posts: 181
    I was told when i worked at a bike shop, it was a legal reqiurment that All bike must have reflectors and a bell when sold. My dad who was a police officer then confirmed. Even if it wasn't it's common sense to fit these things to a childs bike.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Every kids bike I've bought has come with bell and reflectors although all bike shops have been more than happy to remove these items on my behalf before I leave the shop. :)
    Still breathing.....
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    His may be a clash of cultures....

Many bikes are sold without pedals as that way they are not a "complete bike" and can be supplied without all the extras.

I certainly never use these items and always remove them if the bike comes with them

THis may be the angle the company is coming from
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • CommandoBoy
    CommandoBoy Posts: 173
    Depends on the size of the bike.
    In our shop if its 14"+ it gets a bell, front and rear reflectors.
    These are supplied by the bike company. However certain brands like cube for example do not supply them.