Massive Blow out Pro Race 3

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Only my 2nd time out on a pair of new Pro race 3's and the rear tyre gets sliced open and now ruined!

Looks like hit glass, but we couldn't see anything. Big slice on side wall and through to inner tube. £25 down the drain.

Anypoint in trying to send it back to parkers international?

Comments

• What did you expect from a tyre sold as PRO Race 3?

Something robust?

Try and send it back, why not? I'm sure they'll offer refund or a new tyre
    left the forum March 2023
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    No.
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    A few years ago a mate got his rear motorbike tyre sliced open. It happened on my training route, so next time out I stopped where he told me it happened. There was a sliver of stone in the tarmac. It had been laid with the tar, and was pointing into the direction of traffic like a blade. Best bit was it had a ring of yellow paint round it. It would have been as quick to chisel it out as to mark it :roll: Good job he kept control of the bike.

I guess it happens. Not everyone on race tyres gets them sliced. If you like them, get them again.
    BTW, what did you think to them? I'm thinking of getting them in summer because of reviews.
    Cheers
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If you hit something sharp it will happen with any tyre, whatever make or model.
  • what did i think of them? Great fior the 30 miles i got from the rear!

I got them for the Raid Pyranees I am doing this summer. Really light and goos for climbing.

Clearly, not a tyre of training on in February I guess!

Can anyone suggestt a good light tyre with ample puncture protection?

I have put an old pair of Scwlabe Lugano's on today, but they are heavy!
  • what did i think of them? Great fior the 30 miles i got from the rear!

I got them for the Raid Pyranees I am doing this summer. Really light and goos for climbing.

Can anyone suggestt a good light tyre with ample puncture protection?

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    jellikins wrote:
    what did i think of them? Great fior the 30 miles i got from the rear!

[color=red]Can anyone suggestt a good light tyre with ample puncture protection?[/color]

Pro Race 3 are probably as good as anything.

No tyre is puncture proof, if you ride over something sharp enough it will go through anything. You can't have ultimate performance and ultimate puncture protection in the same tyre, the lighter you go the easier they will penetrate.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I love pro race 3's.
    Nice and light reasonable puncture protection but like you say not for Feb.
    Something similar that is good for this time of year is Michelin Krylions.Available most places now stocks arrived in the UK
  • h14turbo
    h14turbo Posts: 329
    I reckon bontrager race x lite ac tires are really good winter tyres. They have good puncture protection. My rear tyre has a massive slice in it caused by some glass or something, 200 miles on, still going fine even with this cut.
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    jellikins wrote:
    I got them for the Raid Pyranees I am doing this summer.!

They'd have been worn out well before then anyway.. :)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I've done 400+ miles in Feb on my PRO race 3s and no problems. The roads have been terrible. What ever sliced your tyre probably would have sliced any tyre. Get Armadillos if puncture protection is your main concern. I paid £31.00 each so you are lucky in that respect.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I've done some big miles on pro race 3 all year round, absolutely no problem at all. You were just unlucky.

Trust me, give them another try and forget about all the doom-mongers that somehow think that different seasons=more chance of punctures.

Even if you did puncture more often with pro race, you'll more than make up any time lost with their better rolling resistance than the 'bombproof tyres'

Life is too short to use crappy tyres. :wink:
  • jellikins
    I have put some Lugano's on today and did 36 miles in climbing terrain. Certainly felt heavier!

I suppose my fear is that the road in France on the Raid Pyranees can be bad and will Pro Race 3's be susceptible to more punctures.

Have been looking at a compromise with the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp.??
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    French made tyres wont puncture in France, that would be bad karma. So don't worry. :roll:
  • First time out for a long ride on Pro 2 Races and I did the same thing. Half a mile from home, after an 80+ mile ride. Sh!t happens.

Been riding Pro2 and Pro3 in a daily basis ever since. Nothing like that has happened since.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jellikins
    Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp?

Any views or experiences compared to Pro Race 3 at all?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm glad the pro race 3 are reasonably puncture resistant, i've just bought a pair because they match my pompino :oops:

I just might be a bit of a tart...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have done the Raid twice and have not had a puncture. The roads are fairly good. No more chance of punctures than in UK in summer. Probably less as the French are not litter louts like Brits. I used Conti Attack and Force. They were very good. The PR3 will be fine but make sure they are not too worn before you go. It is 410 miles with some long fast descents.

chrisw12.
    Trust me, give them another try and forget about all the doom-mongers that somehow think that different seasons=more chance of punctures.
    You will get more punctures in winter. Wet tyres cut more easily and they always cut the hedges at this time of year. I have not had a summer puncture for 4 years but have had 3 this winter. All my riding mates have had several as well.
  • I ride in the French Pyrenees all the time on ProRace 3s and as yet have had no problems. They were great all through last summer and the same (quite highly worn) pair is even coping with the winter grit on the (snow ploughed) col and valley routes.

Had GP4000s before but the PR3s are much grippier (especially on wet/humid corners) and feel faster too.

Good luck on the raid, hope the weather is good but not too hot, when are you doing it?
  • Say "Hi" as you pass on day 3, I'm 12kms before Massat, a little Auberge on the side of the road in the village of Castet d'Aleu. You'll be about 30-40 minutes from a well earned meal and a cold beer.

Mid June is usually OK, can be any type of weather here in the mountains, but generally warm to hot but not the more humid heat of July/August.

Just don't order the coq au vin in Massat !

Good luck and keep the ProRace 3s.
  • jellikins
    :D cheers, keep a look out for us on the 17th!
  • ziggy.mcd
    ziggy.mcd Posts: 66
    Anyone tried Pro race 3 Grip?