Clipless pedals - where to start?

13»

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Too late, black ones have just been shipped...!

I don't mind my bike looking a little battered; stealability = stealability --

Tempted to attack the shiny frame somehow - maybe just black insulation-tape or something...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    ONCO.jpg
    You want something like these, I suspect. Don't invest too much to begin with, because you may soon feel comfortable to dispense with the platform bit. (And yes, they are double sided).
    I think you should be able to find them by browsing Wiggle or CRC.

My partner uses these and she likes them a lot. To me they are bricks, but they are user friendly and more efficient than plain flat pedals.

Stay well clear of cages which are just dangerous.

If you want to get a bit more than your toes wet, then SPD-SL is a pedal that still gives a good broad flat platform for riding in trainers ... if you don't want to HAVE to use cleats each time you ride the bike.

I started on SPD-SLS about 6 years ago and then moved to Keos. both are fine.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    sarajoy wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:
    Oh, M520s are possible with normal shoes, eh?

Seeing as they appear to be available for just over £15, maybe I should just bite the bullet..

POSSIBLE, yes, perfect, no. They're meant for clipping in, so aren't as stable as a pedal with a platform.

But yes, possible.
    Yes, possible is all I'm after :D

Chuff it, I can always buy some comfier shoes otherwise....!

There may be a joke here of some kind...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    sarajoy wrote:

Tempted to attack the shiny frame somehow - maybe just black insulation-tape or something...

This doesn't actually work, does it? I mean even the dumbest thief would think "if the bike's worth taping up it's worth nicking", right? And you'll then have an ugly bike, forever :(
  • sarajoy
    biondino wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

This doesn't actually work, does it? I mean even the dumbest thief would think "if the bike's worth taping up it's worth nicking", right? And you'll then have an ugly bike, forever :(
    Not sure tbh.

Actually I did have an awful old girly MTB nicked - but it was a very thin lock wire plus it had slicks on it, so maybe it looked cool. It was very purple.

Insulation tape's great though, rarely leaves any residue :)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Doesn't matter if you're never going to take it off though :)
  • sarajoy
    Well, at least I know it's beautiful on the inside, like me ;)
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I always did wonder about the old 'scads of tape on my bike' thing...

Surely you only put it on if it's worth something? So a tapey bike is worth more to sell?

*tapes up old saracens to increase value*