Classical Music

iainment
iainment Posts: 992
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
Just idling the day away thinking about this and that and realised that classical music is much of a closed book to me although there are pieces I enjoy.

So anyway what are the essential classics that one should have?

Give us a list and I'll give em a go and see if I can get cultured!
Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
Joseph Gallivan

Comments

• Canon and Gigue by Pachelbel.

Known better to many as the basis for 'All Together Now' by The Farm.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Pachelbel's Canon may be better known to some as the basis of 'Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space' by Spiritualized.

If you really want to appreciate classical music it's helpful to have a mentor. Some of the nuances can be difficult to pick up and therefore wonderful pieces dismissed too quickly. It's also a very wide area that caters for all tastes - a bit like asking what is a great pop record, you'll get lots of different people who like completely different things.

So, completely igore if you like, but Elgar's Variations is a very pleasing and accesible piece of music. If you like choral work then Palestrina is a good place to start.
  • Some may find it a bit of an obvious choice and maybe even a little cliched, but I always find Holst's Planets a great listen time and again. Some of Walton's more light-hearted stuff (e.g. Facade) is good fun, too, but this might be because they seem - to me - a tad reminiscent of film scores for Ealing comedies (of which I'm a big fan)!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Prokofiev's 'romeo & juliet' - the first movement of which is used as the basis for Alan Sugar's 'apprentice' programme

Toccata & Fugue in D minor - classic bit of organ music by Bach

Nimrod by Edward Elgar

Mozart - overture to his opera 'the marriage of figaro'

you hopefully should recognise all of them...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Ludwig von's 5th and 9th.
    Anything by Mozart.

Dennis Noward
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    I got one of those £1 classical CDs from Tesco and really like it. My favourite pieces are:

1, On The Beautiful Danube
    2, Andante - Serenade No.7 In D Major "Haffner"
    3, Canon In D Major
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    softlad wrote:
    Prokofiev's 'romeo & juliet' - the first movement of which is used as the basis for Alan Sugar's 'apprentice' programme

Dance of the Knights iirc... :)

I love classical. Rachmaninov, Debussy, Grieg (Piano Concerto in A minor is a fave), Glass... then theres the cross-overs into movie soundtracks like Elfman and Shore's LOTRs stuff that can be enjoyed equally imo
  • elevated
    elevated Posts: 126
    Nice to see there are cultured peeps on here!

Can anyone identify this piece please?

http://www.expure.com/temp/unknown_opera_classical.mp3
    BMC Pro Machine | Ribble Gran Fondo | Planet-X SL Pro Carbon | Specialized Langster 2008 | Ribble Winter Sloping | Trek 8000 | Onza Blade 2009

My site » AssosFables :: Assos news & reviews
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Mozart for sure: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Requiem, Clarinet Concerto, Horn Concerto - the list goes on.
    Schubert: string quintet
    Smetana: Ma Vlast
    Verdi: Requiem (hang onto your seat, this one is heavy metal in places)
    Faure: Requiem (just stunning)
    Vaughan Williams: Lark Ascending (astonishing)
    Palestrina: Spem et Alium (sublime)
    Palestrina: Sicut Cervus (ditto)
    Schumann: Kindersehnen (gentle)
    Chopin: Nocturnes (more chill than the chilliest chill you ever had)

You'll recognise most of them. Mozart is supposed to be good for the brain, too.

Don't buy cheap versions. Deutsche Gramophon is a good brand, conductors/performers like von Karajan and Barenboim are a good bet.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm quite into opera at the moment - echo previous suggestion of Mozart's Marriage of Figaro (whole thing though - don't really do this idea of Best of Classical albums where you pair a Mozart overture with a Bach fugue).

Thing is about opera (& classical music in general) is it needs listening to alot before it starts making sense, I wouldn't suggest listening to a bit of this and a bit of that because you might of heard it on an advert.

Choose something, listen to it. Listen to it again.

Anyway, another suggestion - a Haydn symphony? They're relatively short (20 mins or so) so are easier to digest. The London Symphonies are his last and most highly regarded, and you tend to get three per CD. And they're great :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-London-Symphonies-Vol-1/dp/B0000041AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235769966&sr=8-1

Have you got Spotify yet?

http://open.spotify.com/user/silangdon/playlist/20F6NNTmNzdlSxy2LB0daR
  • +1 for Mozart's Requiem
    Hugo Alfven's Swedish Rhapsodies, etc
    Can't beat a bit of Handel

Mahler, Nielsen, Shostakovich and Stravinsky are also great, though maybe a bit hardcore! :D

Here's how to get into classical music:
    Listen to Classic FM
    Get fed up of the number of adverts and the number of times they repeat everything
    Start listening to Radio 3
    Get to know what you like from listening to those stations.
    Buy/download music you like.
    Buy/download music you think you may like.

Or, alternatively, learn a musical instrument and join an orchestra or other ensemble. I got into classical music through playing in loads of orchestras, etc when at school and uni. Don't play so much any more. :(

Also agree with mr_si's recommendation to listen again and again.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    pneumatic wrote:
    Chopin: Nocturnes (more chill than the chilliest chill you ever had)
    The Chopin Nocturnes do it for me too. Dim the lights, glass of wine, roaring fire............ you get the picture. The Bach Goldberg Variations have a similar effect on me too. Must be something about the simplicity of solo piano.

Has anyone mentioned the Elgar 'Cello Concerto yet?
    Or the Bruch Violin Concerto?
    Dvorak's 9th (New World) is pretty good, (you'll recognise the 2nd movement as the Hovis ad) but I think I prefer the 8th, lots of good tunes.......

But I'd also go for anything by Bach, Telemann or Vivaldi (eg. guitar concerto, or the Gloria?)

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try these -

Polovtsian Dances by Borodin
    Lt Kije suite by Prokofiev (Particularly the Romance piece, sublime!)
    Mahler's 3rd Symphony (particularly the parts Comodo, scherzando and Ohne Hast)
    Alpine Symphony - Strauss
    La Mer and pretty much any piano piece by Debussy such as Claire de Lune

I have spent far more on Hifi and subsequent CDs than on my cars and bikes combined as a result of being introduced to pieces like these!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    LazyBoycp wrote:
    +2. I never enjoy music until I know it. If it's a long piece it might take some getting to know, so I'd definitely agree with listening to it over and over.

Better still is to have played it - like Lazyboycp I got that chance in my school days eg. Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis in Canterbury Cathedral and Elgar's 1st Symphony in the Royal Festival Hall. Some of the best experiences of my life......... ah, happy days! I've no idea how music manages to turn your insides inside out, but it certainly does when you're in the middle of it, creating it.

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    LazyBoycp wrote:
    +2. I never enjoy music until I know it. If it's a long piece it might take some getting to know, so I'd definitely agree with listening to it over and over.

Better still is to have played it - like Lazyboycp I got that chance in my school days eg. Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis in Canterbury Cathedral and Elgar's 1st Symphony in the Royal Festival Hall. Some of the best experiences of my life......... ah, happy days! I've no idea how music manages to turn your insides inside out, but it certainly does when you're in the middle of it, creating it.

Ruth

+3 - some music I haven't 'got' until a few listens and then it just becomes wonderful...
  • Gorecki's 'Sorrowful Strings' has to be thee most emotional and cinematic piece of music I have ever heard there is nothing quite like it so I've been told as I have searched and asked classical music coniseurs - BTW if anybody does know of anything that is close to this please let me know ( not debussy etc etc)
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Gorecki's 'Sorrowful Strings' has to be thee most emotional and cinematic piece of music I have ever heard there is nothing quite like it so I've been told as I have searched and asked classical music coniseurs - BTW if anybody does know of anything that is close to this please let me know ( not debussy etc etc)

Do you mean his Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (no. 3)? Preisner's Requiem for my Friend may be close, though I haven't listened to either piece for ages. Having said that, I can see the Preisner in my CD rack...
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Hmm, I am limited to Bond.