Bontrager Race or Mavic Aksium?

adeyboy
adeyboy Posts: 113
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello folks, looking for your help please.

Which of the above wheels are best?

Thanks a lot!

'Above' being the topic title - Bontrager Race or Mavic Aksium

Comments

• I bought a Trek 1400 which was supplied with Bontrager Race wheels, after a few months I had pulled a couple of spokes through on the rear rim !! Admittedly I am a 'heavier' rider :oops:

I purchased some Mavic Aksiums last October and so far so good, these were recommended by my LBS, for their strength. They are not the lightest wheels in the world but I'm not the lightest bloke !
  • adeyboy
    Cheers for that. I'm 13 stone, which isn't exactly prop forward territory, but neither is it svelte climber!!
  • adeyboy
    121 views and only one opinion offered :cry:
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've seen so many hubs go on Aksiums and Ksyriums to for that matter.
    Whats your budget?
    I'd look to more conventional wheels really but thats just my preference.By that I mean hand built
  • If you are after cheap, bomb-proof wheels, the Quest Como set (rated in the big wheel roundup a year or so ago) can still be bought for 60 squids...
    http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Wheels.html

Not read anything good or bad about the Quest Scafell set, but they are on offer for £150 (reduced from 200), not bad for 1535 grams! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Askiums by a country mile.
    The Bontragers may be a tiny bit lighter, but the Mavic's are stiffer, faster and much more robust.
    Several riding buddies have Askiums and never had problems.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have the Bontrager Race wheels, pretty good for the money, and I haven't had any stiffness or speed issues with them.

I can't compare with the Mavic's as I have never personally tried them.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I have a pair of Aksiums and Bonty Race. Much prefer the Bontys as they seem to run much smoother. I'm 14 stone at the moment and not had any issues with either of them.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I've raced TT's on my Aksiums and the Alps, not batted an eyelid
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I have the race lights and they run smooth and haven't gone a mm out of true in 3 years and lots of miles
  • adeyboy
    Thanks folks, I appreciate your comments. Bonty Race it is. Don't suppose I'd really have noticed any difference, but I trust the LBS who deal with Bonty so am happy with that... I can be sure of good help if anything goes awry.