cycling every day and losing weight...info req.

accrington guy
accrington guy Posts: 182
right guys I cycle 15 miles a day - 7.5 to work and home again 5 days a week, now whilst I am probably the fittest I have ever been I am losing weight and would like to stop this, would also like to put a bit on if possible..
I will say that I didnt start cycling to lose weight, it obviously happened due to the miles I do per month and a bad diet by me ?
I dont eat crap really or drink alot,
for me its a normal brekkie of cereal and toast, soup or sandwich for lunch and a normal dinner when I get home..just the normal meal like everyone else..

I am 6ft and about 12/13 stone now, I ws about 14st..

what can I eat to improve my diet to help me put some wieght back on..

thanks

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Pies are the way forward :wink:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • You're most probably in calorie deficit. Lets say before you commuting you got by on 2500cals....now you cycle you may using an extra 500cals...in other words you now need 3000clas to keep your weight at the ''before commuting weight''. Obviously this doesn't take into account the extra muscle you've probably gained and the fact you may have toned up a fair bit. Try eating some good old carbs like pasta or baked potatoes and rice. Increase your portion sizes a bit and see what happens. Don't be tempted to eat too much junk though as nutrician is the key.
  • yeah plenty of pasta and rice is the way forward try taking tuna pasta for lunch instead of the sandwiches
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • thanks for the info folks,
    tuna is the only fish I dont like, past and rice I could eat all day...
    what about sardines?...could eat them til I burst..would they help in any way?
  • Nothing better than Cake to put on weight I find, and I'm a Fatty so putting it on is my speciality :)

And Chocolate.

Basically, just eat MORE!!
  • http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pasta-De-S ... etail.aspx

Voila a simple pasta and sardine combo . . . I love it when a MTB Forum turns into an article from Womans Weekly :lol:

• It really is just a case of increasing the amount that you eat though like Lost-time states above try and calculate the amount you eat into calories and increase it by around 500 to maintain a healthy balance of excercise and nutrition.

• I would not recommend diving into junk food to boost your weight. I would simply increase your calorie intake, but maintain a balanced and healthy diet. One way you may be able to accomplish this without stuffing yourself every meal is to drink a SlimFast or other dietary meal substitute drink after every meal. This will instantly up your calorie intake with a healthy balance and will not require you overeating every meal!
  • ok thanks for that...having never thought about a sub. meal drink or ever looked at one which would be the best to start on..?

and would having one of those drinks after a meal not bag me up some what?

thanks again.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I don't want to upset you but 12.5 stone at 6ft puts you at the upper end of the BMI scale around about 23.7. Put much weight on and you'll end up back in the overweight category with a BMI above 25.

If I was you (I'd be happier as I'd weigh less) I wouldn't worry, it sounds like your current weight is about right for you height.

If you really want to pile on the pounds you'll need to start some proper drinking :wink:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • ahh the old bmi.. it is a load of rubbish...it puts people who maybe overweight marginally to obesely overweight... its the one thing I dont pay much attention too..

like your saying I am already at the upper end of the bmi scale :lol: , if you saw me you would then think different..

so the bmi could say if I put a stone on and went up to (13/14) I would be classed as overweight?...thats why its nonsense..

I do understand what you saying though..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ahh the old bmi.. it is a load of rubbish...it puts people who maybe overweight marginally to obesely overweight... its the one thing I dont pay much attention too..

like your saying I am already at the upper end of the bmi scale :lol: , if you saw me you would then think different..

so the bmi could say if I put a stone on and went up to (13/14) I would be classed as overweight?...thats why its nonsense..

yeah I hear what you are saying also.....just eat more good stuff..mix the carbs with the proteins, hey presto chango!

ps. the bmi thing is a bit "false"... I remember Johnny Wilkinson having a BMI of near 30! he's 5ft something and came in at 15-16stone...however you see any fat on him?
    Im betting most rugby boys will have high BMIs but no fat on them. put it all into context I think.

if you are really worired see your doc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ahh the old bmi.. it is a load of rubbish...it puts people who maybe overweight marginally to obesely overweight... its the one thing I dont pay much attention too..

yeah I hear what you are saying also.....just eat more good stuff..mix the carbs with the proteins, hey presto chango!

ps. the bmi thing is a bit "false"... I remember Johnny Wilkinson having a BMI of near 30! he's 5ft something and came in at 15-16stone...however you see any fat on him?
    Im betting most rugby boys will have high BMIs but no fat on them. put it all into context I think.

if you are really worired see your doc.
  • ok thanks for that...having never thought about a sub. meal drink or ever looked at one which would be the best to start on..?

and would having one of those drinks after a meal not bag me up some what?

thanks again.

I personally tried this back in college. (Being an American, I will have to do this in pounds, sorry) I gained 20 pounds in a month without feeling the least bit uncomfortable, and with a good amount of exercise each day it just turned straight into muscle. I used SlimFast drinks, just the original (I was partial to the chocolate flavor, but there are many flavors out there.) I don't know if you can get them in the UK or not, but I think any would do the trick as long as they have a healthy balance. Take a look at the nutrition label before you buy and you shouldn't have any problems!
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    the diet you are on now would be quite good for some1 that needs to lose some body fat but as you dont need to cos of the amount of cardio you do then as its been said you need to up calories and start with some protein drinks...

I go to gym 3 times a week and to help ur body to burn the fat rather than muscle(which is heavier than fat)then i have to have enough carbs and protein to feed the muscle...

so normal day would be porridge in the morning followed by protein drink,protein drink straight after gym,jacket spud or pasta and tuna or sardines for dinner and then you could have chicken with veg n spuds for tea....
    Ive been going to the gym properly now for about 18 months and also cycle 2-3 times a week and ive gained 8-10lb in weight but ive reduced body fat by 5% so weight gain is muscle....
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I know the BMI system is a bit hit and miss but unless you have a full body fat assessment it's about the best indicator of whether you are at a healthy weight. I'm around a BMI of 26 having come down from 28 and people say I now look lean but I definitely still have excess weigh around my gut etc.

The Johnny Wilkinson thing is a red herring for most people, you have to be a fairly serious athelete to get high BMI readings and have no significant body fat. Most people just don't realise how overweight the average person is, we've all got so used to seeing porky people that what we consider as normal would have been well overweight thirty years ago.

Until somebody comes up with something better I'm going to continue using BMI as an indicator along with how knackered I get riding, how much my legs hurt and how sexy I look naked in the mirror.

Hmm, now I come to think about it none of my health and fitness dashboard of KPIs are going to stand up to much scientific scrutiny :roll: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result